CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Degree Key Installation Tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 10:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Degree Key Installation Tips

Hi folks, anyone have any experience installing and then tuning for a degree key? One of my buds put one in his 'shee and said that it made a great difference and was easy to install. How is it for the DS? Easy, medium or rocket science? Any watchouts? Once it's in, what other changes should be made ie: cooler plug (DR7EA instead of the stock DR8EA?); re-jet? C'mon, I've gotta be able to beat smitty911 on his upgradded C-dale Speed, or I just won't be able to show my face around here anymore. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Dumont for Presidents Day

Old 01-28-2003, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

i would put alot of lock tight back on the flywheel and let it set up of a day before riding.

Old 01-29-2003, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider

neosirfur dr7ea is actually hotter than the 8. dr9ea would be colder.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-29-2003, 01:16 AM
Trailblazer

Roostin....I'm a computer guy, not a motor guy...that's why I'm on this board...to get edu-ma-cated [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Thanks, I can never keep that straight, do you know which way I should go with advanced timing?

DSMike.... Hmmm...think that there could be some strain? I'm a little worried about the thinner woodruff key, but I don't think that if it breaks, it would be catastrophic (would it)? I'm thinking that the worst case if it breaks is that the flywheel would just sit there while the shaft spins, no harm, no foul. Of course, if you read my reply to Roostin....I'm a keyboard jock, not a gear head, so I could end up with a good doorstop. Hopefully other folks around here have had some experience with it....we'll see.

THanks again guys, keep the ideas comin'

N

Old 01-29-2003, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

i have had one to break with me. i don't use a decompressor and i think that might have been my trouble with it.

it should only break or strip when starting it. thats when the load is on the flywheel. my stripped the frist weekend i had it on there. but its not hard to change if you have problems with it.

a colder plug and more octane fuel may be needed. the way i do my timing even with stock compression i would run 100+ race fuel.