CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

The OFFICIAL DS vs R thread - IT'S ON!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 06:28 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The OFFICIAL DS vs R thread - IT'S ON!

Ok, so here's the lowdown.

My buddy has a 2001 DS650. He bought it this past summer and wanted to drag race my ATC 250R (86).

He was stock, mine was bored .20 over with Boyesen reed. I also dropped the front sprocket down 1 tooth, and raised the rear sprocket 1 tooth because at times it was just too fast for trail riding. In all honesty, my motor is pretty tired (been beat on pretty bad).

So, the race.....we raced 3 times. Gravel road....top speed.

First race, he got me off the line, and he was ahead about 2 bike lengths. I could not gain on him and he did not leave me....all the way to top speed.

2nd race, I got him off the line (wheelie instead of spinning), and I proceeded to leave him behind. I think I heard him miss a shift later on.
3rd race, basically the same as the 2nd. Got him off the line, both machines accelerated around the same rate, darn near EXACT top speed.

Now, since then, he's added a FMF pipe, air filter and jets. Now he's buying some 42mm accelerator carb, and a CDI that by itself is supposed to gain him 5 hp. Also added Maxxis Razr's and new wheels.

I have decided to rebuild my motor this winter since my girlfriend has magically taken over my new Grizzly 660 (damn, I should've never brought her on that first ride!)

I have decided to do another bore over, wiseco Hi perf piston, Boyesen Rad Valves, new jets, FMF "Fatty" pipe and silencer, and I'm buying new sprockets and returning to the original gearing. New tires too. Not sure which kind.

He weighs about 240, I weigh about 195-200 (depends on if I drank the night before).

Similar riding skills.....

HE SAYS THERE'S NO WAY I CAN KEEP UP ON MY NEW R?

Whether he's right or me, LET THE TOASTING BEGIN......

Old 01-30-2003, 06:52 PM
Range Rover

19 Views and nobody (even you DS owners) have a word to say??

C'Mon.........

Do you all seriously think I don't have a chance?

Old 01-30-2003, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

I think that the only advantage that you have is your weight,(body and bike)If you were going to same speed and he had the stock limiter, stock pipe, and small carb you are in trouble. Specially the limiter, that is going to prove huge for him. Ofcourse this all depends on what you are going to have done to the R, two strokes can always go faster....

Old 01-30-2003, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Fruitjaket,I had a 86 250R,and they are fast,but the front end is so light,you will have to stay on the handle bars to keep it straight.Thats where the DS will be in front, unless you can keep the front down.The 85 and 86 250r's were the best 3-wheelers and are very fast. Good luck!

Old 01-30-2003, 08:33 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i don't think the cdi makes anymore horse power, it just stop that stumble of when you hit the limit. and if you are just racing down gravel road try the dominators on your r and then you won't hold it against your friend for getting new tires. the ds has things that you can question but it can go much faster with different gears. and try ridding it some time the ride is sweet.

Old 01-30-2003, 10:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

True, there is no 5hp gain with any cdi box - they do advance ignition timing for slight power gains, aside from higher rev limit, but not 5 ponies worth.
Threewheelers are fun man, long live the first high performance atv of all time - ATC250R!!!
The winner here will go to whoever decides to fork out the most cash. Take it to 330R.....look at Eddie Sanders Racing, CT Racing, and Trinity Racing. Make no mistake - you can break 50hp on your R, and your buddy's DS will not see that without going internal on mods, but it'll cost you some bucks. Think about it though - 50hp on a 280lbs. machine, versus 50hp on a 460lbs. machine - plus the difference in rider weight!
Of course terrain can make or break a race too - if you're racing through whoops for example, 12" of suspension travel on the DS can smooth out everything that'll bounce a threewheeler outa control.
You can keep the front down - just don't get too agressive a tire, and keep your sack on the tank!

Old 01-31-2003, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

You ballsy bastard [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I read these forums too!!

Ya its me, the one whos gonna smoke ya!

I never said you could not keep up.. I said it probably would come down to skill & traction.

How much you gonna spend to beat me by just a little bit?? You know I am fast and it bugs you... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I am going on jenny craig starting today!! So I will drop the 240 and really give ya a wooping!

Old 01-31-2003, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

Fruitjacket, every machine is different but here's a video on my site you can check out showing 25R vs DS650. The DS65 was bone stock and the 250R has pipoe and K&N filter and that's it. I'm racing my piped Banshee in this video as wel. The 250Rider is probably 50 lbs less than the DS rider and I weigh about twice what the 250R rider weighs (he's a skinny dude). If nothing else it's something to watch while you get ready to race again....

250R vs DS650 and 250R vs Banshee