CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

NEED HELP WITH JETTING

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP WITH JETTING

I NEED ALIITLE HELP WITH MY JETTING. I HAVE AN ALBA PIPE WITH OPEN END KIT, AND ALBA CDI. I AM RUNNING A 180 MIKUNI MAIN, 48 PILOT JET, AND DYNOJET NEEDLE ON THIRD CLIP FROM TOP. I AM AT 1000 FT ELEVATION, AND ITS AROUND 30 DEG F. I HAVE A K+N FILTER IN STOCK AIR BOX. I AM IN A LOT OF MUD AND WATER SO I DO NOT WANT TO MODIFY MY AIRBOX. I SEEM TO BE RUNNING WAY TO FAT IN EVERYDAY RIDING. MY PLUGS ARE PITCH BLACK. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Old 02-08-2003, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

also i was wondering if running the bike on a lift to check jetting is ok or does there need to be a load on the engine? i have a lift i use to hold the back of the bike up and can run it in the air. is this okay.

Old 02-08-2003, 09:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Your jetting is pretty rich for running with stock airbox. I'm curious - why a Dynojet needle, but mikuni main?
I would drop the needle - move the clip to second from top like the dynojet instructions recommend for stock airbox. Then put in the appropriate dynojet main. Put in a new plug and actually ride. For a properly jetted DS, you will have to put some actual time on the motor before plug color reveals the nice tan you're looking for, and running on a lift will not duplicate actaul ride conditions.

If you remove the airbox lid and the gasket around the top it seals against, then your jetting may be spot on. this is how I run, and I ride the same conditions as you with no problems. the top of the airbox is only a couple inches lower than the ends of the snorkels, so you lose no significant submerge capability, and nothing ever splashes in the box because the seat wraps over the edges. Just in case though, I leave the drain plug open - so if anything does splash in it can run right out. Put an outerwear on the K&N with this set-up too.

Old 02-09-2003, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

thanks. ill try running it a bit. also i just got a diagram of the carb and it shows both washers and plastic ring below the clip. is this the way it should be? when i took it aprt the first time to change the needle, there was one washer on top, the the clip then then palstic ring and then the smaller washer. what is the proper order? also, i am going to remove the air lid. but with the tempurature so cold, when it gets warm agin i will probally be fat agian, correct?

Old 02-09-2003, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider

Check out buttfungus's site...he's got tons of information regarding jetting issues, and just about anything else you need to know about your DS.

DS stuff