CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Tire pressure vs. weight

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 12:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire pressure vs. weight

Does how much a person weight make any difference in how much pressure should be in the tires? Or does this not make any difference as long as the suspension is adjusted correctly? Also, should you run a thicker Ply tire if you are a heavy person?

I would also like to say that the information that I have gotten of this site since I joined is excellent. I greatly appreciate everyones help. This Forum is great to logon to , it does not have all the BS that is on a lot of other sites.
Thanks again for making a newbie feel welcomed,

Ron

Old 03-08-2003, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider

BajaRat~
Welcome aboard! Tire pressure is can be raised 1 PSI or 2 if you're a heavy person, but I don't think there will be much noticeable difference between 4 PSI and 5 PSI. The suspension on the DS has enough travel that the tires aren't crucial in soaking up bumps. A 6 ply tire is going to have a stiffer sidewall and be less prone to punctures, but the tradeoff is more rotating mass. I don't think your weight should be the deciding factor on getting 4 or 6 ply tires. The type of environment you ride in is more important than your body weight.

Old 03-08-2003, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

I've never heard of anybody changing tire pressures for different rider weights. The weight of the bike being constant, even a 100 lb rider size difference is only going to be about a 15% increase in gross weight. Changing tire pressure proportionally is only going to be about a 1 psi change. I can't see one psi making much of a difference.
I think most tire choices for concerning pressure, tread design and construction are based on terrain more than anything else. Get thin tires and run low pressures on sand, extra plies and a little higher psi for rocks, etc.
I hope that helped.

Old 03-08-2003, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

Dang, he beat me to it!