CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

swingarm skid plate install

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swingarm skid plate install

I've got one that has me scratching my head like a monkey trying to do a math problem.

I got my new PRM swingarm skid, and it looks like it would be really easy to install IF there was a way to get the stock plastic skid shoes off without disassembling half of my quad. I got all the nuts off and removed the front four bolts. Is there a way to remove the bolts behind the sprocket and brake disk without removing the rear axle and everything?

A hack saw to cut the bolts off looks like my best option, but I don't have one (pretty pathetic, isn't it?) and I doubt that there are any hardware stores open now.

Old 03-09-2003, 02:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I used a hack saw blade, without the saw about two years ago when I installed the skid on my 2001. Some of the skid plates - I believe the Pro-Armor model (for example) are mounted leaving the stock plastic skids still on! For my Baja, this is what I plan to get. Other than that, get a hack saw & have fun! (I know I did - NOT!)

Old 03-09-2003, 02:32 AM
Trailblazer

Been there done that. When I got mine PRM told me I would have to cut the bolts unless I wanted to take the bike a part. Sorry there isn't an easy way. The only good news I can give you is the plate is worth the money I've taken some good rock shoots and it's stiil in good shape.

Old 03-09-2003, 02:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

There is any easy way - don't remove the axle, just loosen the axle nut, remove the clip, slide the brake hub down far enough to get to the bolts on that side, and slide the axle a little the other way to reach the others. Its 5 minutes, and you never had to take off a wheel hub because nothing is coming off.

Old 03-09-2003, 03:54 PM
Trailblazer

I scratched my head when I tried to install mine with no instructions also I thought I was gonna have to remove the brake disc. but a call to PRM and the e-mailed them to me and I did it the way Hightower mentioned. It didn't take to long and the skid works great.

Old 03-09-2003, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

I got it put on. I opted for the hacksaw method, and it went well. Once I got everything I could see that the holes did not line up properly; the front ones were half a hole off. Part of the skid on the front stuck up too far and hit the swingarm. The bolts they sent also seemed too short as the threads never got to the nylon part of the lock nuts. After modifying my skidplate and buying 1/4" longer bolts, it bolted up fine. I think I got one that was made on an early Monday morning...

Old 03-10-2003, 01:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Naww, I think the vast majority of them are that way. It seems many aftermarket parts don't bolt up the way they should. Glad to hear you got the deed done.