CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Little Sahara Utah review...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little Sahara Utah review...

I'm currently working at Dugway Proving Grounds and am staying in the little town of Tooele just 25 miles south of SLC. From the Hampton Inn to the base of comphill it was 81 miles. LSU is south of Tooele and west of I-15 off the state hwy 6. It's a nice scenic drive making the the anticipation of arriving bearable and unusually enjoyable. There are lots of mountains and wildlife in this area.

Since it was just a day trip I paid the $8 24hr fee and headed directly to the comp hill area and missed exploring much of what's to be riden there. The weather was not great either and let me tell you guys that when the wind blows there its about miserable and you can forget rejetting, etc. The way to comp is totally paved and they have restrooms there. I believe there are elec.hookups at certain campgrounds due to the fact that I saw xformers along the paved road to comphill.

That is the biggest, baddest comp hill I've ridden to date. It's almost too long and steep to expect much of a rush on the bolt on bike. You get to the top in second and it's a long ride in second so needless to say you don't have to worry about shutting it down in time! Those are the steepest and longest I've been on yet. As a matter of fact there was one place next to banshee hill I could not make it up. My quad had the power but I guess I didn't have enough rpm or paddle to maintain enough forward momentum. I was suprised to say the least.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I rode around the area and enjoyed the scenery and the dunes. The big hills there are actually rock mts. that are covered in sand on the east side and most of the west with the rock protruding at the pinnacle where the razorback would be otherwise. The little dunes around the base are fun but unlike most I've ridden. A lot of witches eyes and steep drops, or good jumps depending on your direction. There is a lot of riding area at this place and something for everyone. If you are not into dragging the hills and are even running all-terrains this is a good place to ride also with lots of trails and small hills and trees. I will be posting some pics soon of the area and if you haven't looked at my pics in awhile I've got some good pictures of Dumont ,Gordon's Well, and Sand Mountain.

I would recommentd LSU to anyone...definately worth the drive from Indiana or anywhere else. On a warm, calm, sunny day this place would be rated AAA++ for family fun or endless dragging delights! Dunning galore!

Lastly, I want to say, "OOOOUCH!!!" and where's the cheapest place to buy a headlight? I was only going 15-20 mph and that's the second time I've decided to dismount when the handlebars, i.e. HORNS nailed me in the back, busted my headlight lens and...unfortunately my trailtech torch lights also took a beating...I escaped with minor injuries.

Jim

Old 03-17-2003, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

How long are you in Town? The dunes are certainly more enjoyable with calmer weather - I was planning on going Saturday but the weather turned nasty Friday eve and I am a fair weather rider. Nothing like a good sandblasting to kill a trip.
also, I know of no hook ups at any campgrounds, they have bathrooms and running water but beyond that you're on your own.
Comp hill certainly separates the men from the boys - that is where "king of the hill" is run each fall. It is an organized event - the two strokes own it but with the inroads that 4strokes are making it would be interesting if say.... a gathering like 4stroke wars were to decend
on LSU and leave their mark....
if your gonna be around for a coupla weeks lets hook up for a ride.

Old 03-19-2003, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

Jiminok- are you still in town? I pm'd you acoupla days ago. I'm heading to LSU this weekend if you are up to it. They are forcasting blue skies in the 60's. Should be georgous!
let me know

Old 03-19-2003, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

Majorecho...still in town but will be unable to attend the dunes this weekend[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]need to do some repair$....I thought is was just the headlight but the stearing stem is in bad shape too. Guess it's time to bite the bullet and get some cams, piston, valves, headwork, etc. while I'm at it...LOL! I'm heading down to Cedar City for the weekend to watch some snowmobile racing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]...have fun guys!

Old 03-19-2003, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Majorecho
Jiminok- are you still in town? I pm'd you acoupla days ago. I'm heading to LSU this weekend if you are up to it. They are forcasting blue skies in the 60's. Should be georgous!
let me know
Curtis, we will be there midday on Friday and leaving sunday morning.

We will be camping at oasis, when you roll in stop by if we are there. You know my truck, unless 30 some hours of riding in it does not burn it into your memory. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

We will have my buddies camper, 25' wildwood.

Hey, pm me with the route you take, I remember you telling me, but I cant remember the directions.

Later
bat

Old 03-20-2003, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

DAMMMMN you Jim. Just when I pull ahead of you a little there you go and do this. It's like a chess game.

Old 03-20-2003, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

KMDuner, I was just joking I really aint doing nothing...I'm still riding the same old bolt-ons stocker...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Check your PM.

Old 03-21-2003, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-21-2003, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

Banshee Hill that you describe is actually called the "Face" of Sand Mtn and the long hill is the "Valley". To the left of the Face is called the "Fingers". If you didn't make it over to the backside of Sand Mtn that is where the big bowls are. Make sure you go on Easter. It will be packed and the heavy artillary of 100+hp Banshee's will be out in FULL FORCE shooting the Face for an unofficial King of the Hill.. Watch anybody who wears a black tee-shirt, that is the K&T crew.. The Muchmoores...... I have pics in my sig and the atvconnection gallery.. Make sure you go to Saint Anthonys too.... Paradise also!!

Old 03-22-2003, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider

AWEsome pics...thanks for clarifying proper names there!