CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Bombardier supports closures

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 09:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bombardier supports closures

I read a press release that Bombardier is a platinum sponsor of Jean-Michel Cousteau and his Ocean Futures Society,
The Ocean Futures Society actively endorses fishing closures for the recreational angler along the California coastline. These closures are knee-jerk reactions to supposed "problems" in fish populations and are killing the sportfishing industry, rather than going after the true problem, commercial fishing. These "problems" were based on faulty data provided by environmentalist groups such as OFS and are slowly being rebuked by new studies being done by neutral research organizations without "agendas" to promote. Closures are NOT a management tool. Closures are a radical act. Closures are the opposite of Freedom. Closures are Un-American.
I would seriously reconsider your alliance with Jean-Michel Cousteau and the OFS. West Marine originally took the same stance as you are now taking. They have since withdrawn that support due to pressure from fishermen and reviewing data from recent studies by independent organizations showing that the original studies by environmentalists were flawed and unreliable.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
March 13, 2003
Bombardier Statement on Channel Islands Fishing Ban
Recently, we have been contacted by supporters of fishing in the Channel Islands of California regarding our association with Ocean Futures Society (OFS). The tone in many messages shows the concern and passion anglers have over the issue of fishing. Bombardier, through its Evinrude* and Johnson* outboard engine brands, is a strong supporter of anglers in California and around the world, and we share their passion.
Unfortunately, there are some who misunderstand the position of Bombardier on the question of fishing bans, and we would like to offer a clarification. Bombardier does not share the views of OFS on this fishing ban. Bombardier believes the long-term viability of marine life in the Channel Islands and elsewhere is best addressed through a common sense approach to resource management.
Bombardier's relationship with OFS is for the purpose of promoting environmentally-responsible Bombardier marine technologies, such as Evinrude E-TEC* and Rotax* 4-TEC* engines. We also launched our Cruise Clean initiative with OFS
in January to encourage cleaner powerboating in California. We are proud of the work OFS does to promote clean technology, but we understand that it is inevitable we will not see eye-to-eye on every issue.
Finally, Bombardier, through its association with the Recreational Fishing Alliance, the National Marine Manufacturers Association and others, will work closely with the marine industry to help find a long-term solution that serves the interests of all parties, ensuring the Channel Islands will remain an attractive fishing and recreational area for generations to come.
David Thompson
Director, Communications and Public Relations
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was greatly disappointed to hear of Bombardier's decision to continue its support of the Ocean Futures Society's "Clean Oceans" campaign (reference below). Your recent response to my e-mail indicates that Bombardier either does not appreciate the issues that California sports fishermen and boat owners are facing or that you do not "share my passion". To eliminate any
possible ambiguity, I offer the following:

* As a high-profile "platinum" sponsor of OFS, Bombardier will always be viewed as a supporter of OFS's general positions and policy statements.
* Evinrude's current promotional campaign featuring Cousteau reinforces this belief and makes Bombardier's position very visible to those who make public policy.
* Since Bombardier has a financial stake in the fishing industry, your words carry considerable weight. However, corporate actions typically speak louder than press releases.

Your letter does not mention any substantive efforts that Bombardier has taken to distance itself from OFS and its extreme positions. To address this issue I encourage Bombardier to consider:

1) Financially supporting the Recreational Fishing Alliance and/or United Anglers in their efforts to limit the impact of the closures;

2) Supplying UA and the RFA with public policy statements expressing Bombardier's opposition to the closures; and

3) Having a Bombardier/Evinrude representative attended all future public policy meetings on the closure issue to offer your corporate support and testimony in opposition to the closures.

Without this type of meaningful corporate commitment, your decision to continue to participate in the Clean Ocean campaign is both naive and extremely short sighted. I urge you to align your actions with your rhetoric.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your response. Please note that:

Bombardier does financially support RFA, and that RFA and UA have received Bombardier's closure statements. I can assure you that our Cruise Clean initiative is not near-sighted and works to ensure that powerboaters in California and around the world are aware of cleaner powerboating options.

Regards,
Ann Stawski

Old 03-18-2003, 12:04 AM
Trailblazer

These closers on the Channel Island is slowly killing the sport fishing industry in Oxnard, and Ventura. Not to mention the hundreds of private boaters who pay the slip fees, fuel, fishing tackel, bait, insurance, and keep local boat shop happy buy buying new ENGINES and constant repairs. I think its safe to say that 99% of all these boats fish the islands. I think Bombardier/ Evenrude should reconsider thier alliances before the compitition exposes thier position or screw up so to speak! Come to think about it I don't recall Bombardier supporting the Sierra Club, I don't think. Anyway I have fished the Islands for about 20 years and I can honestly say I have not noticed any decline of any speices of fish. These pfc or sport boats I fish on have always practiced conservation or they would put them selve out of business.

Old 03-18-2003, 10:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think you guys should start reconsidering your alliances with Bombaridier. if you quit buying, maybe they will get the message...

RoostKIng...

Old 03-18-2003, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

why would a yamaha guy think it was necessary to come onto our site and spout off[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] jerk!!!!!!

Old 03-18-2003, 11:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The DS was biult specifically for the DUNES!! I don't think Bomb would "back" any commitee trying to close our riding area's.

If we're talking about FISH, well ....................................

BIggerisbetter.

Old 03-18-2003, 01:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Bombardier contributed tens of thousands of dollars to an environmental terrorist group and you don't think it affects you? Where do you think the money came from to close down Glamis? Do they have to actually close down the Dunes in the midwest before you become concerned? Do you have any idea of the other gropus that Bombardier supports? Or do you just not like fish? Too many riders with your attitude have resulted in the closures we have now.

Old 03-18-2003, 01:47 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Originally posted by: JEFFROE
why would a yamaha guy think it was necessary to come onto our site and spout off[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] jerk!!!!!!
JEFFROE,

If you would look up the definition of the word jerk in the dictionary you might want to take a look at the banshee for your next purchase.

RoostKing knows this feeling.

ChetRacer[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-18-2003, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

oh yes i ment it as a compliment[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 03-18-2003, 04:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Dougg
Bombardier contributed tens of thousands of dollars to an environmental terrorist group and you don't think it affects you? Where do you think the money came from to close down Glamis? Do they have to actually close down the Dunes in the midwest before you become concerned? Do you have any idea of the other gropus that Bombardier supports? Or do you just not like fish? Too many riders with your attitude have resulted in the closures we have now.

CALM DOWN DUDE!!!! your going to give yourself a heart attack!! You have 3 posts and your already trying to hang people[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] GEESE!!

I like fishing, I like the outdoors, and I know that thier are ALOT of irresponsable people that litter and tear-up public/Private lands(and fishing spots). IF WE DON"T TAKE THE RESPONIBLITY to "police" ourselves, someone will do it for us!!!!!!!! and yes MOST of them are extremest,and **** me off too, BUt to be honest for every one person that respects the enviroment, their are 5 that don't[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]. WE have noone to blame but ourselves. SO now you want me to go and burn my DS650??? SO I can make a statement to Bombardier!??LOL. NO WAY!!

I think its people like YOU! that...........Well.... Nevermind..... I don't know you so I wont pass judgement, like you did.

Have a nice day[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

BIggerisbetter.

Old 03-18-2003, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

I can eat toilet tissue when & where I want to. Potted meat HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS!!!

There,,, that's a rant damnit... You gotta practice, then spout off from the soul..