CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Attacking Comp Hill ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attacking Comp Hill ???

I've only had my sand rail up comp at Dumont and never ran a quad up the darn thing. What is the best way to attack the hill. I read where I probably will not be able to hit 4th gear and I'm not sure what my bike will do with the mods that I have done.

Should I be launching in 1st or 2nd?
Will it be a wheelie machine if I dump the clutch?
Will it lift as I'm going up the hill?

I know that I should just get out there this weekend and "just do it". I just don't want to end up on my back after getting caught up in the heat of battle.

in the desert, if I'm at a slow roll and hit the throttle in first, the front comes up real easy. 2nd, I need to give it a little pull but it comes up.

I will be going out this weekend if anyone wants a good laugh

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 03-26-2003, 02:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i haven't seen that comp hill, but at the one in florence, i start in second with wet sand it is a one or two gear race. i run one 15-43 and one 15-42, slip the clutch out off the hole for about 10 feet then jump on it hard, if you start on a some what flat get in the next gear soon let the engine get reved up so when you hit the steep part you are into the meat. and just watch you will see a lot just doing that. then find another hill and make a few runs by yourself and you will get a feel for the gears, oh and be ready the holeshoot is very important

Old 03-26-2003, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

I'm running 20" sandsharks, and stock gearing. Should I move down to a 15t front? What effect will this have on my overall DS experience? Don't really want to lose my desert enjoyment....

??????? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-26-2003, 02:44 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i found that the stock ds couldn't rev out in 5th , i switch to the 15 and it got a lot better, and the overall top speed was better. those aren't the best tire for comp hill, not that they won't work but a edge would be better, the decisions get hard i know wehter to plan on alround duning or hill racing or flats. i would for sure change the front sprocket.

Old 03-26-2003, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

I will be there this weekend and i will show you how to do it on a raptor,i will be there sat.,i have a red and black rap with black rims....see you there

Old 03-26-2003, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Big D! With the mods you have now and you say you are a fairly large individual[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I wouldn't worry to much about fliping over. ust lean over the front, dump the clutch in second gear? You may have to start out in 1st with the mods you have right now. To be honest you probably won't be pulling Comp hill in third gear either. You will probably be able to pull third about half to 3/4 of the way and then you will have to shift to second. It will really help you if you switch to the 15/43 gearing though. Hopefully we will see you there.

Old 03-26-2003, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks sandman...

Raptor.... don't be doggin my Big a$$. I'll have to get my On-line DS buddies to come out and give you a throttlin! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I'll be the big freak on a little DS.... Be out there Sat. Morning for the day.

Maybe I'll look into getting the 15 tooth before I go. Hope I can find one in town!

The suspense is KILLING ME!!!!!!

Just read your reply Angry.... what is the stock gearing? Can't believe that I won't be able to make third. The bike is scary fast in the desert. I know, I know, the sand is a whole different ball game.

Stock gearing?? 16/43

Old 03-26-2003, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

so tony are you going to make it out,is it just a day trip for you or are you staying the night...

Old 03-26-2003, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

Big Daddy: Stock gearing is 16/40. You will notice a huge difference just from installing the 15 tooth front sprocket. You will need a 30mm socket and a big ratchet to get it off though. And make sure you use blue loctite when you put it back on. If you want a hill monster you you should run a 15/43 gear combo and 22" paddles. Preferably Skat-trak Extreme Haulers. 9-paddle. If you run the 15/43 you will need to lengthen your chain, but I find that a 15/42 combo seems to be just as good as the 15/43 and you don't have to mess with your chain with the 15/42 combo. You can get the spockets out at Marine Products out in Henderson.

Raptor03 A.K.A. Slammin Sammy! LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] I don't know yet and I won't know until Thursday late afternoon. Or Friday morning. I am planning on leaving Friday Morning and I will take the trailer with me if that is the case. But if work delay's me than I will head out Early Saturday morning and probably rough it Saturday night and leave late morning on Sunday. Do you have Friday off? Can you get Friday off? Let me know. Later

Old 03-26-2003, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

Cant get friday off but i can leave friday night,and get there by 8:00 so let me know ,if not i will be there on sat .if you guy's stay i will stay but if not i am going home on saturday..

I cant wait to go and meet up ,it's like the good ole days,we havent been riding with everybody in a long time!

Raptor03,Angrybajaboy,Wshrdskn,Eaglecollector,ETC. ..etc

Quick Reply: Attacking Comp Hill ???