CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

How can a stock DS jump??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can a stock DS jump??

How good can a stock (stock shocks and suspension anyway) DS 650 handle jumping. Like table-tops and normal jumps. This guy said he bent his axles like a toothpick after only a few jumps??

What you guys think, I don't want to spend money for a new axle and and shocks, etc.

To jump, or not to jump?

Old 04-07-2003, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

I doubt u will break the axle like a tooth pick. The DS is a big machine, but bombardier makes a good quad. Notice you never hear anything bad about it except how heavy it is? If I could have any stock quad thats not super rare, it'd definately be the ds. Its as great machine with 12 inches of travel front and back. Nearly guranteed normal jumping will not hurt the axle one bit.

-nick

Old 04-07-2003, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

Sweet, Thanks,

anyone have first-hand experience jumping them tho(stock suspension)? I appreciate your reply 87banshee250sx.

Old 04-07-2003, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

The DS jumps great. But you have to have a good take off. If your a little crossed up in the air, its really hard to bring the pig back into control.

Old 04-07-2003, 05:09 PM
Trailblazer

How are you guys doing i am a knew comer to the atv forum and I ride a 2000 ds 650 I have no problem jumping except one thing when i put my paddles on in the sand and hit jumps or whoops the bolts on the back of my feet guards hit my paddles and chew them up. I was wondering if there is anything i could do or any way to take off my feet guards and still have the fenders supported.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-07-2003, 05:15 PM
Trailblazer

I have had first hand at jumping the boat it is a little hard to get used to because of it's size but what machine is not a little nerve rattling in the air for your first flight. and i recomend watching huevos 5 there is a lot of good jumping footage of the ds.

Old 04-07-2003, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

What size do you have, what are they?

Old 04-07-2003, 05:51 PM
Trailblazer

The ds jumps are awsome and very stable you just have to get used to the size of the bike , but once you do you can out just just about every body out there and they have to spend mucho $$$$ to get were the stock ds is .

Old 04-07-2003, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

I weigh about 260 and my ds is still stock.

I have had it out at Glen Hellen and competition park (before it closed down). It does jump real nice, the stock suspension is adequate (sp) but I would like to get some new shocks all the way around. It's by no means as easy to throw around in the air like a 400ex or z400 but it's not too bad.

The only major problem it has is it's weight. I have bent all four of my rims (on the inside bead) jumping table tops and step up's. Granted I didn't exactly clear all of them every time, so the same thing probably would have happened if I was riding a EX or a Z.

As far as the axle goes, I have come up short on a big step up (this is what bent the rear rims) and my axle is still good as new. I was a bit worried about it at first, so I took it down to a machine shop to have it straightened, they checked it out and said it was fine.

I have heard of other people bending an axle, however if mine could survive slamming into the face of a step up as hard as I did with my weight, they must have landed REALLY HARD.

speaking of bent axles, I was watching huevos 5 the other day, and noticed that alot of the bikes had bent axles, go figure. I just laughed everytime I saw a big air shot where the rear tire was going wobble-wobble-wobble.

Old 04-07-2003, 06:11 PM
Trailblazer

I wiegh about 185 and after i set up the stock shocks with some pre load , they were perfect i just uploaded some new photos of some jumping we did this weekend.
I have bent alot of rims.

Quick Reply: How can a stock DS jump??