CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

I Swear - Last Fan Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 04:51 PM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I Swear - Last Fan Issue

Hey: Guys

Took my bike into the shop last week again for a cooling fan problem. The fan had quit working altogether. This is the 6th fan I have gone threw in 2 years. I have only had to pay for 1 of them. Bombardier today told me that they feel bad, but they are closing the issue with me and sending me a $200.00 Gift certificate for my troubles.

I still have one more spare fan @ home I can use.

My Question is has anybody chaged the mounting style of thier fan to the Baja style.
I believe this is the sorce of the problem - how it mounts.
Bombardier did give my all the plastic brackets to do it, but the metal frame around the rad is a little different. Looks like I might have to make some brackets.

I have a ridding buddy that has a baja and has not had any fan troubles in a year and a half.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

P.S. I will not remove my fan altogether, we ride in the snow up here alot - slow moving and
lots of RPM'S -- Must have a cooling fanText

Old 04-11-2003, 05:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, if you are riding in extreme conditions, you may have to improvize to improve the stock product. Don't leave it up to the manufacturer to addapt to you extreme conditions. You must take actions in your own hands. I know that is what your doing by posting this thread, ut just thought I would confirm that.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, make sure that ALL the connections to the fan AND around the fan motor are Water sealed, using an aftermarket sealer, it sounds like you are getting the brushes wet over and over and your fans are shorting out and failure is the result. Also it would be easy to mount you fan in rubber washers(like the kind you use to fix the sink) and that will provide some vibration protection. Thats reall all thier is to it, so get too work and GOOD LUCK![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Oh! and if you don't have them yet, Definately get some radiator shrouds! your fan will thank you for it.

Biggerisbetter.

Old 04-11-2003, 07:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

mrds650, I feel your pain. I have replaced my fans 5 times under extended warrenty. This weekend the fan started sounding sick. Pretty sure its about to quit again. I feel they are going to try and say its my fault. The last time they replaced it with an 02 fan. IT lasted one ride longer than the others did. That to me is saying they know they (Bombardier) are haveing a problem. When they removed the old fan I had them show me it. The fan had sand built up in the motor area. I feel that is why it failed. Who did you talk to at bombardier. I have talked to them 4 times about the fans and played phone tag with them for weeks at a time. I cant get rid of my fan either. It gets hot and humid here in Louisiana. I am going to order the inline coolers and some engine ice and see if it cools the bike more. I already have fan shrouds. Does anyone know where to get a temperature gauge and how to install it so I can keep an eye on it?

Old 04-11-2003, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

Saw this in the back of dirtwheels, dirtmods98@aol.com this is there e-mail,have'nt used one yeat.

Old 04-11-2003, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

IN THE 2 YEARS I HAVE HAD MY 01 DS I HAVE NEVER HAD THE COOLING PROBLEM, NOR ANY OTHER PROBLEMS, IM CURRENTLY WORKING ON A NEW SOURCE FOR FOR MY COOLING FAN. ILL POST PICS AS SOON AS IM FINISHED.

JEFF

Old 04-11-2003, 08:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

one thing that can and does cause fan failure is improper installation. most dealers and people working on their bike think all they have to do is slap it in and tighten the nuts, but not true. all four corners that contact the frame need shimmed for a perfect fit prior to tightening any nuts, or the plastic housing will be put in a bind making it harder to spin and cause excessive amperage draw to overcome the resistance.
not saying this is why you guys lost so many, but worth mentioning just in case.

i have 120 hours on my motor, replaced the fan once early last year but it was my fault because I removed the aluminum heat shield off the back of it to install an aftermarket pipe and it melted the insulation on the motor windings because I installed shorter screws and left the shield off because it wouldn't clear my header.

Old 04-11-2003, 09:49 PM
Range Rover

Hey MRD if your still under warrenty then your probably not ready to resort to this but heres what i did,.... i went through 3 fans in 4 months then i cut up an old hand grip and got a piece of rubber under each mount , now the fan i got has lasted coming up on 11 months, once you install it, try and spin the fan a with your finger(this is what hightower was saying) to make sure its not binding up and not spinnin freely, if it doesnt spin freely move the spacers around till it does.......... I still take spare fans on the dune trips
Jetjock16

Old 04-11-2003, 10:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider

mark i know it sounds odd that the fan would run a lot in the snow but that thing hums a lot, even wet sand is easy compared to riding in the snow, i thought it would run cold but was wrong

Old 04-11-2003, 10:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i don't run a fan now but i wouldn't want to try that in the snow that thing works hard there. you are probably right but i know that is the place the fan ran the most

Old 04-12-2003, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

I have a 2000 ds650 and it still has the fan that it came with from the factory and no problems. Witch is good since everything else goes to hell on it all the time!!

Quick Reply: I Swear - Last Fan Issue