CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

decided not to get a ds650 :-(

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default decided not to get a ds650 :-(

I think the best values in used sport quads right now are the 400ex and the DS.
I was originally going to get a 400ex because when I first started looking, a used DS was still pretty expensive and kind of hard to find. Also, I have firsthand experience with Honda's reliability, and that is very important to me. (If I didn't mind high maintenance, I probably would have bought a Banshee- big HP and they're everywhere.)
Now I have my DS and couldn't be happier. I'm a big guy, so the size is a bonus. I have yet to find a trail where my Banshee buddies can go and I can't. Stock for stock, the DS suspension is unbeatable. The 400ex is good, way better than the quads I grew up on, but the 400 suspension does feel harsh after you've been on a DS. I understand where Entomber is coming from there. I did like the way the EX can wheelie, but nothing will ever compare to the old 350X in that category.
I also enjoy having a quad that so many people have never even seen up close.

To wrap this up, good luck with you're choice, Tyrespinner. Whether you choose the EX or DS, you've made a good choice. Just don't buy a Raptor. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-16-2003, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

with a set of 25" on the rear that would help
can you say mudzilla? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

this winter i've thought of doing that but i'd have to either make some custom heel guards and rework my ski mounts to compensate for the height, maybe i'll do it b4 next winter if I can get up some money to buy and extra set of rims w/mudzilla

and just so ya know if you ride a ds the same way in the winter as you do in the summer your gunna get stuck in the winter, believe me, ya need a different riding style in the winter, you can just punch it from 1/4 throttle to wide open, maybe you could wit big tires but i know you can't w/ realtors, the ds has so much torque it just spins n digs down which is not a good thing in the snow,

Old 04-16-2003, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

lilnotts, in how deep snow can you operate in? (sinking snow, not hard-pack)

Do the skis really make a difference in not getting stuck.

You run 22" Realtors right? Lemme know.

Old 04-16-2003, 10:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider

tryespinner, you keep saying you want the honda for wheelies, well now that i have both machines, i can say my ds wheelies as good or better with the gear changes i've made. and you should think about that tire thing and make a snow monster. i've ridden in the trails with my 4x4 buddies in the snow, and don't remember that being that bad, and that was with the stock tires which suck, heck i may even think about some of those big tires, my friend put some on his raptor( only 23") but his traction is great he even put screws in the tread.

Old 04-17-2003, 09:03 AM
Pro Rider

I'd be the last one to bash any bike. I consider myself an equal opportunity rider.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

However though, my buddy has a 400ex. I will say this, with his pipe, jet kit, knn, and air intake tube change out (deal that goes into the carb?) he has one snappy bike. Really good performance. However, as some of you already know, I just got my Baja on saturday. Well, I took him pretty good in any gear. From a drag to a high roll, he could not compete. He is now thinking of a 416 kit[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I've had a 300ex, and that is what i learned to ride on. I know about the nimbleness, and the fun in the honda's. But like I have said before guys....as an ex rappy owner...I wished I would have known about the ds way back when...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Speaking of a 416 kit, where could my buddy pick one of those up at really cheap? And is 416 really the best bang for the buck for him?

Thanks guys.

Old 04-17-2003, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

Went to see a used DS last night. Tried it, good power, clutch was kinda loose-feeling but whatever. Half the stickers and the front center Bombs emblem were gone. Front tires(Razrs) had been used all the way to hell and back (bare as a baby's behind, they seemed worn unevenly, almost slanted) and the front lower a-arms had barely any paint on em, grab bar was missing some paint too. Dunno. Plastics seem alright.

Not sure if I should bite, he's asking 5500$ CDN(around 3600$ US).

And BTW Sandman, what gearing setup do you have that makes it wheelie good. I still don't think u could lift a DS on 4th without having a foot on the grab bar.

Thanks

Old 04-17-2003, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

yes the skis do help, lets the front end float much better, and it turns on a dime too
ya i run the realtors in the winter, even though they say they're 22" they're only 21", i measured, i might try some paddles next winter if i can find some hard ones in 22"
i can usually run about 7-8" in powder snow, but in heavy wet snow i can only run about 4-5" sometimes less, on packed snowmobile its no problem unless i'm low throttle n just pin it wide open then i spins n digs,

Old 04-17-2003, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

Cool

Old 04-17-2003, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

Tyre,
That price is way too high!!! When I bought mine from my brother's friend it was all stock except maxxis razor tires and it just came from the shop with $1100 worth of new parts (because was crashed) and it was like brand new!! It had new (black) plastic, headlight assembly, stickers, ball joints, handle bars and ALL controls on the bars, and some more stuff. I gave him my yamaha warrior which was worth maybe $1000 and $3000!!! I got a steal on this one!! I don't think you will get a deal like this but you should be able to find one like brand new for under $5000. Hope this helps.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Josh.

Old 04-17-2003, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

OOOOPPPPPPSSSS!!!!
Sorry, I didn't see the CN to US price![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] That sounds about right. Sorry about that!

Quick Reply: decided not to get a ds650 :-(