CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Possible clutch slipping??!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible clutch slipping??!!

Last week I ran the Valvoline race oil and my bike slipped BAD. I went back to the Castrol and it went away. I never should had tried another. 2 qts 10-30 1 1/2 40wt. Good combo

Old 04-15-2003, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider

Did you use the new Valvoline ATV oil 10w-40?

Old 04-15-2003, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

Iguess I have tried the atv oil and the race oil no luck with either

Old 04-15-2003, 01:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

now that's something - my bike likes Valvoline![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 04-15-2003, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider

Well I am using the Valvoline ATV oil right now for break in purposes but I am going back to Bombardier synthetic after this weekend. I did some thinking and talked to a few people today and we figured that my rpm spike was more than likely wheel spin. I already have the TVI 60% springs on.

Old 04-15-2003, 10:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider

i think you are right on the tire spin, when mine was slipping it felt like a auto going up in gears. what tires are you running angry? that was one of the things mark and i were talking about with his extend swing arm we had to get on the back of the seat to keep traction at the mid to top of the hill.

Old 04-15-2003, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I think your right. I have the 22x11x9 9 paddle Extremes. I think I was a little used to running with the stock swingarm and almost wheeling over all the time going up the hills. So I kind of sat up to the front of the bike. I think now I will put my fat A$$ on the very back of the bike now and try that. LOL I notice that the swingarm as we liked to call it in the snowmobile world, might be causing a chainsaw effect! What I mean is that the swingarm sets the bike higher in the air in the back thus putting more pressure on the front, hence creating more drag. So we will see how it works this weekend I guess. I don't want to beleive that it is the oil because I love Valvoline oil!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] It is all I ever used to use in all my Drag cars and my personal vehicles. They really have there Sh@T together. It used to clear up a lot of problems with lifter noise in foreign cars like the Mazda 626. Plus it is so clean and clear you can almost tell by watching the color when you need to change your oil!

Old 04-21-2003, 03:40 PM
Trailblazer

My clutch started acting up at Buttercup this weekend as well. The bike will usually pull third gear at about 6500 rpm up Competition Hill, but after a few runs on Saturday, I noted that I wans't going up the hill quite as fast (bikes I beat earlier were pulling me by 2-3 bike lengths), anbd the engine was revving a lot higher (7000-7500 rpm). It was weird, because once in a while I could feel the plates engage fully just before the top of the hill, It felt like an automatic shifting into overdrive. Oh well, I got one full season of hard use out of it, looks like it's time for some new clutch plates. I can't complain too much, between my 210lbs and the 9 paddle Edges I'm running, something's got to give. I think I'll put some heavier springs in while I'm at it. Who makes the best H/D clutch for a DS?

Old 04-21-2003, 08:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider

you might want to try the springs and ruff the plates with some sand paper maybe this could help.

Old 04-22-2003, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

STRANGE ENOUGH THAT NOW i REMEMBER WHEN i HAD A OIL LIGHT PROBLEM THE LOCAL DEALER PUT YAMALUBE OIL IN MY BIKE AND IT HAS STARTED SLIPPING EVERY SINCE.

Quick Reply: Possible clutch slipping??!!