CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Easy 5 1/4" in front track width

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 11:24 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy 5 1/4" in front track width

On my last trip to the dunes, I bought a pair of 22x8x10 Dune Trackers on Honda wheels. Since it's next to impossible to find DS wheels in stock, and I didn't figure the 1mm difference in bolt pattern would really matter. Well, the bolt holes were snug, but that wasn't my problem. The DS hub was too big to fit through the wheel center...dammit! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] After getting them home, I took my little grinder and made cut-outs in the wheels where it would fit over the hubs. I could tell the Honda offset was a little deeper, but didn't measure it until I got them on. The combonation of fatter tires and wheel offset gave me an extra 5 1/4" in front width! ( the center rib of the tire is nearly even with the outside edge of the fender ) The wheel studs will make their own clearance after you slide them on and off a few times, or you can take light passes to the inside of the holes with a round file. It would have been easier, and cleaner looking, for me to chuck the wheels up in a lathe at work and cut the entire center out bigger, but the tires were already mounted and I don't have a way to break them down myself. However, for freehand with a grinder, I think it turned out pretty well. I've now got a fat set of front dune tires that allow me to keep the front fenders, added extra width, and it's one more thing I can say "I did" instead of simply "I bought"...

Old 04-18-2003, 11:30 AM
Elite Pro Rider

well that is nice to know that some of the ds paddles and rims will snuggly fit on the honda[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-18-2003, 11:30 AM
Range Rover

So honda wheels fit on a DS? Are the wheels off center at all?
Can you show some pics please!

Old 04-18-2003, 11:48 AM
Range Rover

Just the fronts can be made to fit. Not the paddles. In the back, Honda and most everyone else, goes to a much smaller bolt pattern, where the DS stays the same. Unless you have access to a mill, or a large drill press, I wouldn't trust myself "freehanding" a totally different bolt pattern for the rear. Sorry, I don't have a way to get you any pictures, but as I said the Honda rims do have a much deeper offset. I'd have to assume that placing DS wheels on a Honda would work also, but you'd have the reverse effect of narrowing the front end then.

Old 04-19-2003, 01:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

How protected are your brake calipers with that setup? If you look at your stock DS rims on the front the brake calipers are well inside of the wheel and protected, how dies it look with your new wider setup? Also one thing that can be done without too much expense is to flip your rims, and have the valve stem moved to the other side. It works well to give you extra width with very low cost. I did that on a Mojave I had, it made the front end much wider & since it wasn't used for very 'hard' riding I wasn't worried about the now exposed brake calipers on that machine.

Old 04-21-2003, 05:21 PM
Range Rover

Yeah, the brakes are more exposed this way, but I doubt it should matter much, since it's just for dune riding. You wouldn't want to use them for cross country type terrain though. I honestly didn't put these wheels on to gain width. I was just tired of nobody carrying DS parts, and didn't want to wait to order them. I was already out at the dunes, and since I knew the bolt patterns were nearly identical, I thought I could simply improvize these Honda rims and keep riding. It was such an "impulse" thing that I didn't even realize the drastic offset difference until the next day when I got them to fit. I could see there was some, but wasn't expecting what I got.