CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

New guy, Oppinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 01:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy, Oppinions wanted

Hi guys,

I'm trying to decide what machine I want to buy. I know that this has been brought up countless times, I've done alot of searches before posting. I'm looking at Ds650's and Raptors. I counted out the KfX 700 due to it's an automatic. I'd like to give you some stats about myself and get your oppinions. I'm going to do the same on the Raptor board so I can get pro's and con's from both sides of the fence.

I'm 28 and have been riding for most of my life. I've always had 2 stoke motocross bikes up until now. I'm 6 feet tall and weigh about 210. I tend to always want the biggest, scariest, fastest thing out there. I've ridden a Raptor and I was very impressed with the power, but I felt kind of big on the bike. I rode a 400ex and it felt like a toy. I'm looking for a serious machine. I've never a ridden a DS but I went and checked out new ones and it felt right from the minute I sat on it. It felt like it fit. It reminded me of the Sportsman 700 I rode in a way. Although it's a different machine, it just felt like it fit me. Basically, I'm almost positive that the DS is what I'm going to buy, but I want some of your oppinions anyway. The fact that the Raptor is light isn't really and issue. I'm kind of a "gym rat" and I tend to muscle bikes when I ride anyway. I'd rather have a tank if it's going to withstand abuse better. What I'm mostly looking for is scary power and reliability. I want something that I'm just going to put gas in before I go and hose off when I get home. I don't want to be working on it as much as I ride it. And something that will smoke most bikes out there right out of the box. Another thing that I liked about the DS is that it's big and wide, I think I'd have to dump alot of money into the Raptor before I even rode it.

I've heard the DS has problems with overheating and that the front ends are way too heavy. If you guys could elaborate on these things that would be cool. How heavy are they? Do they still wheelie easily? I guess that's probably a plus while hill climbing.

Thanks in advance guys, sorry for bringing this subject up again but I need some reassurance before I go buy.

scottty

Old 04-21-2003, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

Man, i think you jast describd exactly the average ds rider, it'l be perfect for you, LOTS AND LOTS of power and reliability. the front end is kinda heavy, but not too heavy at all, wheeles are a blast! and as for the overheating problem, there is no such thing, other then the 2000-1 ones, where the radiator fan is not rubber mounted and can fail some times, other then that no brobs AT ALL! one of the most reliable and well built machine out there!
Let us know what you go with.

Old 04-21-2003, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

im 6ft tall and 170lbs, i rode a 400ex and a raptor and they feel too small to me, not only is the DS fast, its also dependable, and the suspension is awsome [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] you can pick up a nice used one for around 4g so its also a good value

Old 04-21-2003, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: scottty
Hi guys,

I counted out the KfX 700 due to it's an automatic.

Don't count it out until you try one!!

Old 04-21-2003, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

Where do you plan on riding??

Dunes, woods, roads, pits??

Old 04-21-2003, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider

The only cases I've heard of overheating... actualy I've only heard of one case, and it was because the guy didn't wash out the radiator after going mudding. But that would happen to any water coold bike made.

I am in the same boat as you as far as size goes. I am 6'6" tall and 250lbs, and the ds is the only thing that even comes close to fitting me.

-Tom

Old 04-21-2003, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

If a Raptor felt small, then the DS is the machine for you. I have to agree that the 400ex feels like a toy, but it would still be my second choice quad. I would not own a Raptor.

I can wheelie my DS in three gears on dirt, and it's never overheated.

Old 04-21-2003, 05:18 PM
Range Rover

It really sounds like the DS is the bike for you. It is faster than any other stock quad, and is extremely reliable. The Rotax 650 motor is the same one BMW uses in their dual-sport motorcycle, and I'm sure you would agree that they don't build junk. The engineers at Bombardier really overbuilt this quad in almost every aspect. With the Raptor, you would have to go with an aftermarket rear axle, chain and "A" arms to bring it up to DS standards and then it still wouldn't be as fast. Also, I think Yamaha has their tranny problems sorted out, but some of the older ones (1999?) had problems with reverse going out.

You said you were looking for a quad that you could put gas in and ride without doing a lot of wrenching. You've found it. Good luck with your decision and please let us know what you buy.

Old 04-21-2003, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

I just bought a 03' Baja and it's perfect for my 250lb. body. I also have a 400EX and it feels small compared to the DS. If you want the fastest out of the box you might want to check out the Gas Gas 300 2 stroke. It's a fairly new quad out and don't know about the reliability issues. It's a out of the crate race quad. I know with a few mods, the DS is a monster and is a proven machine.

Jay

Old 04-21-2003, 08:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i saw the gas gas and i don't think it is that fast stock it may be able to be ported into one but stock it might disappoint you. the ds is very reliable. ask a raptor owner what he has to do to rejet. well it is a nice quad and easy to use.

Quick Reply: New guy, Oppinions wanted