CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Outlander in the sand performance review

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 04:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outlander in the sand performance review

Outlander in the sand performance review:

I had my first sand ride with the Outlander at the ORV Park in Moses Lake, WA. I brought my Suzuki Z400 with Sand Shark paddles also to get a contrast of the two radically different ATVs. I did see somebody pull in another Outlander as I was leaving last Sunday.

I did get some funny looks from other sport quad riders like "What the F*** is that doing out here?" Some guy came up to me and thought the Outlander was 900 lbs. He still wasn't impressed after I told him it was 600 lbs. Oh well.

1) Obviously the Outlander is ** not ** a sport quad, but that's not what I bought the Outlander for... I believe it is a little too heavy for decent sand performance.

2) The stock tires performed as expected on the sand - not very well. I may have had too much air in them, so the next time I'll run it down to 2 lbs.

3) You can get around in 2WD, but 4WD had a much easier time keeping up with the sport quads, but definitely plan on being at the rear of the pack. I had in 4WD over 75% of the time and compared 2WD vs 4WD in the sand.

4) If you get enough running start, you can make it up most of the tall sand bowls and actually get some air time, but 4WD had a much easier time getting up the bowls.

5) I plan on getting some 26" Mudlites soon so I'm curious to see the difference on sand vs the stock Ohtsu's.

6) The Outlander suspension is superior and a joy to ride over the sand whoops. I adjusted my rear shocks for the first time out there and I did notice it was at the lightest setting from the factory.

Any feedback or similar experiences? I haven't seen any 25 inch paddles available either [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-28-2003, 05:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i think i saw paddle master has some 25"

Old 04-28-2003, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

I think Skat Trak makes 25" haulers. If not, they'll make them.

I don't know that I would call any features of the ML Dunes "tall"...