CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Dial a jet review installed, Review.. a real long read

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dial a jet review installed, Review.. a real long read

Yes finallly sucessfully installed the dial a jet setup....

the install....
The kit from RockyMT ATV came to my door for a total of $82. The kit looked fairly high quality. the install was fairly straight forward, you can drill your carb or your intake, i opted for the carb mount, but there was no room between where the intake bolts on and the carb. My intake setup is simialar to what Gaskett has on his and others bikes, i have 1" of 2.5" radiator tube conecting my carb to to a 2" section of 2.5" PVC, i have the vacume line hooked up, then a carb mount Uni on the end. So i mounted the Dial a jet at the very beggining of the pvc, being about .75" from the carb mouth. Heres the Bissnatch.... the kit comes with a universal drain plug that you have to drill your float bowl.... so i drilled the float just rearward of where the main jet sits, i threaded it with the standard tap'n'dye kit, and threaded in the new valve deal, i tested it, it leaked through the threads, i tried two differnt types of gasket maker, it still leaked, i tried the tephlon tape, by now the threads were loose, it leaked!! what a pain, finally i just covered the threads in JB WELD, screwed it in, dried it for 24hrs, IT WORKED, no leaks. i went from a 200 DJ down to the 190 as Dial a jet recomends downsize 2-3 mains, i took it out and it ran ok, adjustments on the dail did not make a whole lot of diff, the leanest setting being the best, as the instructions recommend for those results, downsize another main, i went to 185DJ, IT WORKS, my bike revs up quicker and smoother than you can imagine, I Always start in 2nd for drags and it boggs for like a second than goes, now it just GOES off the line!! it really is running better now than ever!! Now for the real test, ther reason i bought this thing is cause i live at 800' and the dunes i go to once to twice a month are at around 3000 i think, i always have to go down a main, so i end up rejetting 3-4 times a month, NO MORE I HOPE!!! i cant wait to get to the dunes, click down the the dial one setting leaner and go.... i hope it keeps up this level of performance.. Now the only concern i have with the thing is longevity. it come with a snorkel kit for an air intake on the device and it has its own foam filter, everytime you adjust it you have to snap the intake deal off, and there is wet gas on the dials and the air holes, so i could see that if it starts to get dirty it may clogg up, and i would not want to run my bike long on a 185 DJ main when i liked the 200.... But ill give it a try, MrMEAN's hooking me up with some spare carb parts so you know when i go to the dunes ill have a backup plan if this little setup decides to go **** up, but i hope it keeps working as well as it did this morning cause the low range throttle crispness, and top end power are two very noticable improvements and im very happy, i did test a few of the other setttings on the dial once i got it tunned in and it runs way too lean on other settings, which tells me the thing actually works, supposed to get about 2000' diff. with each setting and there is five differnt settings and im on the 2nd richest so supposedly i could go upt 3 leaner settings or 6000' of altitude and still be good, that covers all the dunes i hit(Kermit, Glamis, Pismo, Winchestor) so im Set, im real exiceted and ill keep yall posted on how it works at the dunes!!!
So far dial a jet gets good reviews.
Jetjock16

Old 05-04-2003, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting a review, that's what these forums are all about, sharing information.

Old 05-14-2003, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

when i installed my dial-a-jet i installed the feed hose on to the float bowl drain and cut off the end of the drain screw so it wouldn't seal the drain. i can see the fuel in the blue hose. anyone see a problem with this set up?

Old 05-14-2003, 09:32 PM
Range Rover

i dont know if that drain is supposed to be there for a reason? try it and see if it works...
As for my setup im going to try it at the dunes this weekend and ill post how it works, im a bit worried about it spring'n a leak somewhere when i land my big air's... If it holds up, ill stand by this product cause my bike has been running amazing on the test runs out back...Thanks Tim for the spare carb parts!!
ill post the review

Old 05-14-2003, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

how about some pics of the install and the adjustment mechinism.

Thanks,
Tom

Old 05-14-2003, 10:38 PM
Range Rover

hey saint650. thats the way i hooked mine up and im so happy with it i would've paid 200$ for a dial-a-jet if i knew it would help out so much

Old 05-15-2003, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

ive tried it and seems to work well. i dont know exactly where to be with my jetting. i just switched over to dyno jet. i am running air lid on with 12 1" holes in it. alba pipe kit with 12 discs, and k+n with outerwear. i live a 500 feet elevation and i just put in a dyno jet 180. i dont really have anywhere to try it without traveling. jetjock what is your elevation?

Old 05-16-2003, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im at 1000' the dunes i go to most often are about 3000', i run carb mount white bro's filter, full exhaust..have the 185 DJ in there and the dial on the 2nd leanest setting.