CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

The old sand tire debate-- about fronts

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The old sand tire debate-- about fronts

I have a set of 22x11x10 8 paddle Extremes on order, and I have a set of .190 rims for them.

For the front I want to keep the 22" tall size so my front end geometry won't be made worse than it is, so that limits the choices for sand tires. When I was searching old posts, I found that people seem to prefer Mohawks, but they don't seem to be available in a 22. Right now I'm leaning toward the "continuous rib" style of tire, probably either GBC Dunetrackers or STU Razorbacks. What are the advantages of the Razorbacks? Are they worth the extra $? They're more than twice the price per tire compared to the GBC's!
I think Kenda makes a comparable style tire, but I don't want to buy Kendas just out of principle.

Right now I'm leaning toward picking up a set of GBC's on Douglas .190's at Rocky Mountain ATV so I don't have to pay shipping. That package is listed on their website for $133.
I think I'll also pick up a 14t front sprocket while I'm there.

Old 05-05-2003, 07:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider

what about the smooth buffs? i have the mohawks and they work fine in the sand, but i just picked uo a set of 23" smooth buffs i'll let you know what i think on monday, riding this weekend.

Old 05-05-2003, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider

I have the skat trak mohawks and my wife has the gbc "continuous rib" I can't say that there is that much of a difference. If there is I think that I prefer hers. They are a tad bit heavier though. Go with the cheaper ones.

Old 05-06-2003, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

Dunetrackers work great and there's no way Razorbacks are worth more than twice the price! Go with GBC![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

By the way, I currently run a 15-tooth countersprocket and I'm thinking about dropping to a 14-tooth as well. Please let me know how it works out for you. Thanks![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-06-2003, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

imho the 14t is the choise for up to 400ft drag racing. If climbing dunes it is the best

Old 05-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Range Rover

I have bought 6 tires and wheels from Rocky Mountain and 3 of them dont hold air...
Just a heads up...

Old 05-06-2003, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

What makes them not hold air?? Bad tires? Bad bead seal?? ??

Old 05-06-2003, 05:41 PM
Range Rover

I assume its the seal. I pump them up every time I ride, 3 days later they need it again...
I will take them to a shop and have them resealed eventually..

Old 05-06-2003, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

I have a new pair of GBC Dune Trackers. Love them and they seem to offset the steering problem that the Extreme Haulers produce. All in All, they seem to be a good sturdy tire. Problem is that I had to take the fenders off of my monster in order to run them. They actually rubbed a groove in the DT's. AFter the fenders came off, no problem at all. I'll check the size when I get home and post it. Maybe I just ordered a tad to big.... I'll edit later with the size.

Old 05-06-2003, 06:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

you will definitely like 22x8 better than 21x7 on the DS, for sure.
I have the trackers in 22x8 and they made trail riding and tree shooting much better with the haulers.
in fact, two people I ride with now wish the would've bought the trackers too, instead of the 21x7 fins. one buddy says the fins really dig in when you hit the brakes, causing much more drag when getting back on the throttle, and the segmented ribs really sling a lot more sand on you when its wet if you like to remove your front fenders for the dunes.

Quick Reply: The old sand tire debate-- about fronts