CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

I need help- real lean

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help- real lean

Hi everyone, I’d appreciate it if anybody could help I need all the input I can get.

My 01’ DS is so lean that I’m scared something is going to happen. I recently bought a dynojet kit to tune my new full exhaust system (very similar to alba, let’s just say it is). And I also want to run the quad without the lid and snorkels with stock filter for now.

Ok I’ve spent the last two days trying to jet this thing, I’m getting very frustrated with it.
My settings DJ200, DJ needle in 3rd clip, Size 45 pilot jet (one size up). I’ve been messing with the mixture screw and the quad runs fine from 1.5 to 3 turns out, but the plugs are lean at idle, mid and full. They are mostly white with a very slight touch of light tan.

Also I started to get worried that there is maybe a leak or crack after the carb that air might get into but I have checked the boot and no cracks and the manifold looks great but I didn’t take the manifold off of the motor because I don’t think there is a problem. Is there anywhere else there could be leak. I don’t know anymore, just give me all yah got.
Thankyou to all that help.

Old 05-08-2003, 04:37 PM
Range Rover
when your holding the football - people will throw evrything they can at you to strip it away .... including the waterboy at the end of the bench.

Someone correct me if I`m wrong, but isn`t a DynoJet 200 the close equivelant of a 185 Mikuni or there abouts? Also, a 4 stroke plug should read slightly leaner than a 2-stroke. So, if your seeing just a hint of tan......I would grab a Mikuni 195 and you should be spot on. Which also happens to be the average size jet people run with your mods @ sealevel. :-)

Old 05-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

What color is the bottom of the plug. (next to the threads)

Old 05-08-2003, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

the part below the threads is black. But isn't that part always black? It seems like the jetting has gotten a little better since I turned the mixture screw out to 3 turns. But I haven't seen anybody run it out that far, and I would still like it to be a bit richer. I'm not sure how much richer but if I change the pilot jet up one more then would that make idle to full range little more rich? Thanks guys

Old 05-08-2003, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

Alba uses a 47.5 pilot with their pipe kit. As far as the base color, you want it dark gray. If the base is black with alot of soot build up then you are to rich.

Old 05-08-2003, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

Thats not lean.. a 200 your amost rich..
I ran a 190 dyno and 4th clip on the needle before I changed carbs..
I also ran without the lid/snorkles...
If you think there is a problem with a leak, take some WD40 or carb cleaner and spray it around the boot to the intake, and all around the intake at idle.. If the idle changes you have a leak if not its sealed.
What makes you think your lean???
Here is the comparison.. its actully 187.5 stock jet..

Old 05-08-2003, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

Yea I've done alot of reading before I got into jetting but I didn't notice that they used a 47.5 pilot thanks dude. Now where do I get a 47.5 pilot because I have had the most unbelievable time getting pilot jets. I paid 5 bucks for 1 stupid 45 and waited a week to get it and I was told that the pilot jets up in that range only come in increments of 5.

Mudstud how does yours run in the 4th clip because I think i will go to that.

Can somebody tell me if the pilot jets that I need are considered the VM28/486 style, it says they fit RS, and HS carbs but I'm not sure what the stock DS is considered?

Old 05-08-2003, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

The reason I think it is lean is because the plug seems to be to light and the further down the electrode it gets lighter

Old 05-08-2003, 07:10 PM
Range Rover

it sounds like you could possibly be rich if you've got soot on the bottom of the plug metal section, my buddy with a carb mount and r4 slip on plus head pipes is running a dj 195 i think and on the third clip. all i've got is a k&n in the box with no snorkles or lid, and a slightly modded end cap, the only thing i did was the needle mod and the main up to a mikuni 175 from a 165 stock jet.. a motor will stumble from being rich just like it'll stumble from being lean. good luck.. josh....

Old 05-08-2003, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

Try moving the clip to the fourth position.

I think my DS is also running kind of lean. I have a 195 Dynojet main in and a 45 pilot, 2.5 out on the fuel screw, and clip in the fourth position, stock spacers. I had the clip in fifth position with all the spacers under it, and finally got the bottom end rich enough to create a stumble, but it still ran hot which indicates it was lean on the top end. I'm not done messing with it yet. I think I'll try the 200 main and see what happens, but the needle clip in the fourth position really made it run good.

Quick Reply: I need help- real lean