CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Is this a HSR 45??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a HSR 45??

So that means the guy who had it before me disabled it (probably because of the thumb throttle pull). If I would want to re-enable it, I would need a control rod and a twist throttle???

Don't know if Twist would be good with the kind of riding I do (trails, woods, sand pits, dirt roads, some mud...etc..but no dunes). And I plan on doing a lot of winter riding. I hear that twisties can freeze open in the winter...that wouldn't be good....

Sorry just thinking out loud. If you have an opinion, lemme know. Thanks

Old 05-10-2003, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

I believe you can change the spring in the carb to make it easier to push with your thumb. Or I heard if you are very careful you can grind away to outside of the spring to make less tension but wouldn't reccommend if not careful. you should try to get a better picture of the plug.

Old 05-10-2003, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

Also where could I get a throttle cable like that because I am thinking of buying an hsr just like that.

Old 05-10-2003, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

Well see, my thumb throttle is very hard to push right now, and the pump is disabled....With the pump enabled...i can only imagine how stiff it would be to use a thumb throttle, even with the softer springs (Woods is sending me some).

Dunno where you could get that cable..

Old 05-10-2003, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

I run the 45 with the twist. I am very used to the twist and have a hard time now getting used to the thumb. But not every one can ride with a twist. It takes getting use to. Once you do (if you can) it's way better. IMHO[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Here are some pics of my 45. It's out of the quad right now cause Im going stage 3[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
http://www.ljsoftware.com/HSR45/HSR45.html
There are 5 pics about 55k each. Should take less than a minuite for the whole page to load.

Old 05-10-2003, 05:00 PM
Trailblazer

If I'm not mistaken....hmmmm! Yep! that's a HRS 42. Throttle linkage on right side, fuel line swivel mount under body instead of side mount like 45. But.... I could be wrong. LOL!! Best advice would be send ur pics to Mikuni.com/R&D
Good Luck!

Old 05-10-2003, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

HRS 42??? Was that a typo for HSR??

Old 05-10-2003, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

Also, thanks EagleCollector for showing me what a pump rod is...finally. lol

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-11-2003, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

hey Tyrespinner, like I said, that looks to be of an older style. Most of us don't have that little shield that comes over the front cap toward the intake side and yes, our linkage is on the oppisite (right side). Using a little imagination, it looks like a 45..... don't suppose you got a Micrometer handy do ya???

Like I PM you, you don't have a pump. All stock 45's come with the pump mechanism, they just don't have the rod and rod springs in tact.

I dirgress.... I should say ALL come with the pump mechanism, MOST come with the pump mechanism.

Don't expect too much from the springs. I got the springs from RWR and also took out my throttle housing spring at the handle. STILL pretty stiff.

Just get used to it. You'll be fine......

Old 05-11-2003, 01:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hey BigDaddy (and anybody else w/ TM45) - are you using the throttle cable from RW also? If so, throw it in the garbage because it is trash, and is partially responsible for your added throttle tension. It is too long, too fat. The stock cable is much higher quality, with much smaller cable braiding, and can be modified to hook up to the TM45 and makes throttle pull much better. I did not remove the return spring in my throttle housing, I'm using the weak spring on the carb that cannot be used with the pump, and my throttle pull is equally as easy as stock.

Elliot at RW sent me the heavy carb spring that will allow the use of the pump, and its pull is unbarable with a thumb throttle, even when using the stock cable.
To clarify - the throttle return spring on the carb has to be strong enough to overcome the tension of the accelerator pump if the pump is to be used. The weak throttle spring that offers easy throttle pull cannot, and the heavy spring that can overcome the accelerator is too hard on the thumb.

Oh, and the carbs have their ID stamped on the side. Its small stamping, but its there somewhere. Mine says "TM45".