CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Here comes the competition

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2000, 02:09 PM
rnl
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I just read on the ehlert powersports network under hot news that the the big thumper from yamaha is just about here. They said it is most likely a 660cc liquid cooled 4 stroke. Also it said that the quad weighs in at 440 pounds. It also said yamaha will not let bombardeir have the biggest and fastet big bore out there. Looks like there is really gone to be some competiton among manufactures in the big bore category. We'll have to see how the boys over at bomb react to this,because it sounds like this new yammy is gonna be faster than the ds.

Old 05-02-2000, 08:30 PM
Trailblazer

440 pounds, my god............I would like to see Yamaha come out with a new bike, that rocks.

Old 05-03-2000, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider

Well, big bore bikes that work out in the trails and on the dunes are a huge marketplace right now. Expect most to copy Bombardier's idea.

Old 05-04-2000, 12:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

I HOPE THEY DO NOT COPY BOMBARDIER!!! THAT WOULD BLOW TO PUT ANOTHER AWESOME ENGINE INTO THAT BIG UGLY SHELL. THE DS SUCKS. IT SITS UP WAY TO HIGH AND WEIGHS TO MUCH. BOMBARDIER NEED TO DROP THE PRICE ABOUT $1500 OR HARDLY ANYONE WILL BUY THE YELLOW SLUG WHEN THE NEW "BAD BOYS" COME OUT!!!!

Old 05-04-2000, 02:23 AM
rnl
Trailblazer

The ds sucks hey? You think anyone will want a 400lamex when the "bad boys" come out?

Old 05-04-2000, 08:46 AM
Pro Rider

If they suck so bad, then why are all the dealers sold out!? And also, why does the majority of everyone here enjoy their DS? Obviously your views and opinions are far different than those of the "majority".

Old 05-04-2000, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

if you dont like the DS so much why do you post on the Bombardier sight? There is a section for hondas so take you opinions and put them some where that they are useful. BTW how many times have you been beat by a DS it seems that you are quite vendictive. All bikes have there good and bad points so ride what you like and Ill ride what I like.

Old 05-04-2000, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider
Old 05-04-2000, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

Ha, the 400EX has gone up a few hundred $'s, the Banshee is up to around $6,800 out the door and all either one offers is different graphics or color changes. Must be nice to be ignorant. :-)

The latest ATV magazine review of the 400EX states that Honda better do something fast, since their "High Performance" quad is the slowest one out there. That is a direct quote. There are other areas of the article that talk about it's weaknesses, like only being able to adjust the preload on the front shocks and that the front shocks are "adequate". They don't talk up the 400EX as much as they did last year. Some of the article sounds down right sarcastic. "Look at that aluminum rear trailing arm", or "Look at those heavy duty aluminum spindles". You gotta read it.

New Yamahaahaahaa @ 440 pounds! You are excited about that? That is only 20 pounds less than the Bomber. The only reason the 400EX is so light, is because they skimped on the frame, put aluminum (weaker) trailing arm and spindles on it and it has a smaller engine. The frame is horrible. It's made from a lot of smaller pieces welded together. They didn't fish mouth the connecting welds, but they flattened the tubing to conform to the connecting piece and welded it on. Not the best or strongest way of doing things.

The DS on the other hand, has one tube for each side to comprise the main frame construction. Then is has the detachable sub-frame. Also, where the rear engine mounts and the trailing arm mounts to the frame, they have a reinforcing plate that is about 1/3" thick!. The front ball joints are attached to the a-arms with 3/4" thick steel blocks. The front fender mounts are extremely thick, so they don't bounce around. Heck, you can shave 5lbs. by removing the front fenders alone!

Yes, the DS is heavy. In ten years, there will probably be less frame problems from the ds than any other ATV out there.

Oh, and by the way, the DS650 was named Quad of the year. :-)

Must be pretty rough owning that big, ugly, slow Canadian beast. I smile every time a crowd of people swarm around it to get a look. Which, is every time I take it out to the dunes or even out of the garage!

Laters,
CRT_Leech

Old 05-04-2000, 10:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

DS650, I GIVE BOMBARDIER CREDIT FOR WAKING UP YAMAHA. THE REAL BEAST FROM THE EAST IS ABOUT TO APPEAR AND THE LEADER IN ENGINE TECH. GOES TO YAMAHA. I TAKE NOTHING AWAY FROM THE DS IT'S A WORK OF ENGINEERING ART,BUT YOU CAN'T EXPECT A MAJOR PLAYER LIKE YAMAHA TO GIVE UP IT'S HI PERFORMANCE THROWN OVER NIGHT DO YOU?

YES. HONDA GAVE UP ON THERE ALL MIGHTY 250R, AND TRIED TO FOOL EVERYONE WITH THE SECOND COMING OF THAT MACHINE,WHICH IS REALLY A TRAIL RIDER THE 400EX.(HONDA YOU CAN DO BETTER THEN THAT! "SO THEY SAY")

YES, I GIVE CREDIT TO BOMBARDIER FOR RAISING THE HIGH PERFORMANCE STANDARDS. BUT DON'T EXPECT MIGHTY BLUE TO TAKE IT LIGHTLY! FORGET BIG RED, TEAM GREEN WILL ALSO ANSWER AS WELL AS SUZUKI. POLARIS IS ALSO IN THE HUNT, AND DON'T FORGET THE CANNONDALE FX400.

YAMAHA WILL CONTINUE TO RULE AS THE HIGH PERFORMANCE KING!!!

Quick Reply: Here comes the competition