Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Big problem, no power

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big problem, no power

The rubber has worn off the throttle cable from the seat sliding around in there and because you can't put the seat on without it catching. STUPID design!!!

When I went out yesterday, on the ride home it acted like it had no power... like the throttle wasn't opening up all the way. I'm wondering if one has to do with the other. The throttle cable doesn't look crimed anywhere. Is there something else I could look for? I'm going to go take the filter back off and see if the carb is opening up all the way. Should I still be able to see the slide with full throttle on? how far should it hang down? It's raining atm, so I want the quad ready for tomorrow so I can test out the new covered filter I got today. =)

If anyone has any ideas on what to look for, I would appreciate it. I fixed the clutch, and now I don't have enough power for it to slip... oh the irony.

-JNY

Old 06-13-2007, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

I don't think it's the throttle cable unfortunately. =(

I just took off the filter and the bottom of the slide goes up about flush with the choke which is where it was when it was new.

I tried a new fuel filter, but the old on wasn't clogged. Kinda amazed me because of all the rust in the gas tank.

I guess tomorrow I'll take the carb off and clean it out real well. Maybe I've got something in the jet. *shrug*

It seems to idle fine, but when you give it full throttle, it acts like it's choking. I don't think it has an air leak because I pulled the plug (which was brand new yesterday) and it's slightly less soot covered than the previous one so I'm still running rich. I hope it's not the top end running rich or I'm going to have to order jets. =/

If anyone has any ideas please let me know. It accellerates through 1st gear like I'm in second. It's taking about twice as long as normal. I changed the oil again yesterday, and after it warms up the oil display a little below the high mark. I can't imagine what the issue could be. =(

-JNY

Old 06-13-2007, 11:37 PM
Trailblazer

I'm not sure on the lack of power, but for the throttle cable you can get get a twist throttle and it comes with a new cable that is slightly longer and you can reroute it. I got mine from jc whitney's for around 25 bucks shipped.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

Because of terrain, I don't want a twist throttle. It's just to jerky here to allow me to use one without hurting myself. haha

I'm highly concerned with the sudden loss of power. I'm worried something is very wrong. Other than adjusting the clutch, I haven't really done anything with the engine yet. =(

-JNY

Old 06-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Trailblazer

You may want to check your valve adjustment. If the motor is reving up normal and your just not going any where it could be your clutch. if its slow to rev up then i would look at the carb. i would check the valve adjustment anyway if you haven't, mine were way to tight, and after adjusting them it would rev higher and quicker.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

Could you have dropped your needle in your slider in the carb? Just thinking what could cause your sudden lack of power!

Old 06-14-2007, 06:38 AM
Range Rover

I have yet to adjust my valves, So if anybody is planning on doing it to their Jetmoto??? Please take pictures of the process.. I'm sure they will come in quite handy when Its time for me to tackle that project... I have never done a valve adjustment, and I'm really not looking forward to it... This would be a great project for "outofline's" website...lol... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] As far as the lack of power issue??? Could be dirt in the carb etc... You mentioned that you changed the spark plug the day before it quit running good... Maybe the plug is defective?? Try the one you took out, and see if it runs any better...

Trending Topics

Old 06-14-2007, 08:46 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Could you have dropped your needle in your slider in the carb? Just thinking what could cause your sudden lack of power! </end quote></div>

I don't know. I was going to take the throttle cable off, but you have to take the carb off and there wasn't enough light to do so last night. I don't really know how that could happen, because the carb slide still goes up. *shrug*

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I have yet to adjust my valves, So if anybody is planning on doing it to their Jetmoto??? Please take pictures of the process.. I'm sure they will come in quite handy when Its time for me to tackle that project... I have never done a valve adjustment, and I'm really not looking forward to it... This would be a great project for "outofline's" website...lol... </end quote></div>

I 2nd that! I am scared to do it before I actually know where those thingies are I'm suppose to be measuring! haha. I guess it's possible that my exhaust valve has loosened to the point that my compression is suffering. People have mentioned having to readjust the exhaust valve several times before they got it to stay put with some loctite. If I can't get pictures I'm going to have to take it to a shop and have them do it, and I'll try to remember to take pictures if it comes to that. They will charge me an arma and a leg to do it though... I'm sure.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>As far as the lack of power issue??? Could be dirt in the carb etc... You mentioned that you changed the spark plug the day before it quit running good... Maybe the plug is defective?? Try the one you took out, and see if it runs any better...</end quote></div>

I have a brand new plug that I can try. The plug that is in it right now is the first one I propperly adjusted the gap on. (.024") which is an EXTREMELY small gap. All my previous plugs were gapped to .026-.028. I doubt that is the issue, but I'm going to put a new plug in and check to see if it's the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep you guys updated! Come to think of it, I think it's making some valve noise now. Maybe that is the issue.

-JNY

Old 06-14-2007, 09:14 AM
Pro Rider

I popped the new plug in, and it didn't do anything. If you let it idle and warm up, and then give it full throttle it is like it's missing. I'm going to leave it alone until I get home tonight. Tonight I'll take the carb off and check the jets/etc for clogs.

Does this carb have more than 2 jets? If so, are the two jets you replace the ones out in the open? Looking at some other carbs with more jets, it kinda scares me. haha

-JNY

Old 06-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

Nope there is just the two jets, you can easily unbolt the carb turn it sideways a bit pull the float bowl off and remove the jets and clean them out. You should be able to hold them up to a light source and and look through them if they are clean. I can't imagine your valves going out of adjustment so quick like that but who knows. I need to check my valve adjustment, I have know reason to believe they are too loose or to tight but perhaps there is some power just waiting to be unleashed if they are adjusted correctly which is my motivating factor. When I do it I will add pics to my site, if anyone has other Mod pictures I would love to add them to my page as well. I know I have do other mods but just have not taken pics and added them yet. Hope my site is being of use to some!

Quick Reply: Big problem, no power