Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

This is bad, very bad. Raceway?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007 | 06:16 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default This is bad, very bad. Raceway?

I did some work on the quad today and when I went to ride around a bit the rear tires locked up going about 10mph (scarey.) I looked for something in the chain, or wheel or something that could explain it and found that the bolts that go through the sprocket and into the rear hub have completely sheared off. They look as if the threads are still through the hub, but the head and some of the thread are snapped on all of them. One of the bolts has stabbed through the bearing, one is still half-way in the sprocket, and two are missing all together.

Not good. Anyone know where I would start to fix this? drilling and tapping new holes in the hub isn't a problem (as was discussed here.)

If I can figure out how to get the hub off so I can get to everything I'll bet I can pull the bolt out of the bearing, but being a sealed bearing that thing has got to be toast.

I guess I will have to drill into the threaded ends of the bolt that is still in the hub and use a bolt remover to get that out. Then redrill to the size mentioned that matches the hole in the sprocket and get some low-profile bolts to go in and through. Red loctite+locknuts if needed...

How exactly does one get the hub / shaft off?

It's a sad day...

I wonder how long it will be before I can get a bearing, and if I'm even going to be able to do this myself. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I don't understand the rear axle design. I have a good ATV guy that I don't mind paying to fix it, but he is $60/hour and this job could be pricey if I couldn't do it myself. I just want to make sure I don't screw something up worse that it already is (hard to do, I know.)

-JNY
-JNY

Old 06-17-2007 | 06:35 PM
Trailblazer

I had thing happen to mine, except we were about 4 or 5 miles from the trailer in sand hills and it was a chore to tow the jm out of there. You need to take the rear tire and hub off then break loose the two big nuts on the axle, when you take the nuts off you will be able to slide off the hub that the sprocket bolts to. I tried to drill the bolts and use a screw extractor, on the third one i drilled into the threads so i just drilled them all out and used some good bolts with lock washers and nuts. This is the way they are on my yamaha and suzuki. Mine didn't damage the bearing so i'm not real sure what you have got there but it shouldn't be something you can't do yourself.

Old 06-17-2007 | 06:41 PM
|
Pro Rider

Man I hope so. I just hope the rear bearing isn't backordered. This is going to be a chore...

Are the nuts on the left side (that hold the sprocket hub on) left handed? I have tried a torch, PB Blaster, and plenty of elbow grease and I can't get those nuts to break free. Also found out my rear axle hub (bearing hub, etc thingie in the middle) is completetly trashed. Any ideas on getting those nuts off so I can take the axle off?

-JNY

Old 06-17-2007 | 09:15 PM
Trailblazer

I used a pipe wrench and a big cresent on mine, and they are locktighted. I had to struggle a little to get them loose. They are normal threads , if you can get one or the other to turn away from each they will be loose and you can screw them outward on the axle , they are lock nutted one holds the hub in place while the other is tightened against the other nut so they dont come loose. I put the pipe wrench on one nut and roated the handle so the ground would hold it and pulled on the other to get it loose, you may have to hit the wrench with a hammer to bump it loose.

Old 06-17-2007 | 10:58 PM
|
Pro Rider

No matter what we did, we couldn't break the left side free, and we tried everything humanly possible. I ended up realizing that the brake will slide off the right side, and took the right wheel hub off and slid the whole axle out of the left side of the quad.

Again, the wife has "misplaced" my camera, or I would post a picture of the bearing housing. It is completely cracked and trashed from those bolts coming loose. I'm going to take care of drilling/tapping the new threads on the sprocket hub while I wait for a new bearing housing. Hopefully there will be one in stock. Is it the same as on the 200? I figure it should be, and there would be a better chance of having a new one this week. I think John is still 2-3 weeks away from getting in bigger rear sprockets, so I'll go ahead and see if I can get a sprocket made that is considerably bigger. Maybe 8 teeth bigger.

I have a new DID chain to go on as well, and I hope a 120 link will fit with a larger rear sprocket and 14 tooth. My 25x12x9 tires should be here Tuesday also, and I will weight the old tires to see how they stack up to the new ones. I'll bet they are in the 12-15lb range.

Thanks for the help dccarr! I couldn't have done it without you (or at least it would have taken a whole lot longer!)

-JNY

Old 06-18-2007 | 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

The bolts in my sprocket hub loosened up a couple of times too. I removed the sprocket hub, drilled the holes out, and retapped them to 3/8-16 threads. I used grade 8 bolts and tightened them down WITH Locktite. The bolts were long enough and stuck out of the hub. I then put locknuts on them. I have had no further problems with the sprocket/hub assembly. BTW, I did have to grind the bolt heads down a little to clear the axle bearing housing.

The axle nuts had loosened up too even though they had Locktite on them. I've has to retighten the nuts several times. A 15" Cresent wrench, and a hammer is what I've used.

What about the bigger rear sprockets? I haven't heard anything about them. The stock sprocket is a 41 tooth, what will the bigger one's be?

Old 06-18-2007 | 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

Looks like I need to hury and replace mine before they break. Both of mine are a bit lose, do I need to go larger bolts or just replace and tighten the existing?

Old 06-18-2007 | 01:27 AM
Pro Rider

The problem I had with the stock bolts is they were button heads. There was no way of getting an allen wrench between the bearing housing and the bolt head to tighten them back up. I can get an open end wrench on the hex heads I used. Also no way of knowing what the grade the button heads are.

All the hex heads on my sport are metric 8.8's which is comparable to grade 5. Just to be sure I went with grade 8 bolts. You could go with metric 10.9's which are comparable to grade 8 if you don't want to drill and retap.

Old 06-18-2007 | 01:30 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks, is there room for the head of the bolt?

Old 06-18-2007 | 03:24 AM
Range Rover

I better replace mine too...

Quick Reply: This is bad, very bad. Raceway?