Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Electric Choke Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Choke Question

Is the automatic electric choke on or off when the needle looks like it is all the way out? I cant get my 250 Kazuma Cougar to start unless I put hand over carb and then starts, but dies when I give it gas.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if it's the same , but i have a 2006 Arctcic Cat 400 FIS Auto whitch has the Suzuki/belt driven cutch system ; and it has an electric choke on it ! The way it work's , it has a little lever on the side of the carb (right side of engine ) the way it work's you have to turn on the ignition and wait untill the LCD on the pod to light up before the choke will work ; after the LCD light's up you push in and pull the lever 3 time's when it cold to start ! On a hot day i don't even have to use the choke , again i'm not sure if the choke system 's are the same on your quad ; just a tought ! williebee

Old 06-24-2007, 07:42 AM
Trailblazer

tichign,
That "choke" doesn't work like a choke on most gas engines. It really is an enricher valve. It starts retracted to allow extra gas into the carb for easy starting. As you warm -up the ceramic disk heats up expanding and pushes the needle down to stop the extra gas flow. It takes about three minutes to get all the way out.
Tim

Old 06-24-2007, 10:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Tim,

Thanks for the response. To me the choke needles when I hook of the choke to the harness look like they are out.....? Do they come out farther when the key is turned?

So in theory, the choke is always on and when the element heats up, it pulls off the choke?

Can you check the voltage on yours at the harness connectors? We are only getting volt or 2 when the key is turned.

I sent Kazma my 2 chokes and they said they work fine. Then why do I have to put my hand over the carb to get it to start? Then when I do that and hit the throttle it dies? My mechanic already cleaned the carb and the jets.

Thanks!

Derek

Old 06-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

bakermon in my 2006 Arctic Cat 400 FIS Auto 4x4 owners manual states starting a cold engine (400/500/650H1 ) Note: It is very important not to touch or compress the throttle lever during the starting procedures. Step 1. Turn off all electrical accessories ( Hand warmers, lights ,etc. ); Then turn the ignition switch key to the first position ( ON ) leaving the headlight's off. Note that the neutral light is illuminated ( 400 VP ) or N is indicated on the LCD ( 400/500/650H1 ) There's a little metal lever on the right side of the engine attached to the carb ! This is called an enricher or primer on these carbs , when the temp is at -18 degree C ( 0 degree F ) or colder. Pump the primer three times , Press the starter button for eight seconds maximum. Allow 30 seconds between starting attemps for the starter motor to cool. If the engine doesn't start , pump the primer three more times;then press the starter botton again ! 4. when you get the engine started allow the engine to warm up for approximately 2 -to -3 minutes. 5. Run the engine for at least 10 minutes or so it is thoroughly warmed up . 6. If the engine is run for a shorter period of time , the spark plug may not have reached a high enough tempperature to burn off the excess fuel in the combustion chamber. The carb on my AC should be kind of like the Kazuma , since they both use an enrichner or primer instead of old choke designed carb were in the past ! williebee

Old 06-24-2007, 01:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

The kazuma Cougar 250cc electic choke on mine is different that what you are stating. It hooks to a hrness and plugs into the carb like a spark plug cap but has a needle sticking out of it. There is not lights or switches. Kazuma tested the shoke and said it works fine, but didnt for me. I had to put hand over carb to get to fire. and then it would only idle. If i hit the gas, it would die even when I left it run for 10-15 mins.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

Well they must be different than my AC , but i wasn't talking about light's and switche's on the carb i was talking about the instrument pod mounted on the handle bar's ; sorry i couldn't be of help to you and i hope you get it running ! williebee

Old 06-24-2007, 02:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Can anyone with an electric choke on a Kazuma tell me what the voltage is suppoosed to be that goes to the choke?

We are only getting about 1 to 2 volts on the plug that the harness the choke plugs into. Im wondering if there is a bad ground or if the regulator is bad (but it turns over good and the lights work ok? hmm) Isnt it supposed to be a 12v system?

Maybe the choke does not need sthat much, but they say on the doirections to test with a 12v source.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider

I would call/email racewayatv because I believe they have a cheap manual choke for that model that will take care of your problem. I believe people have talked about the "automatic" chokes sucking before. Do some searching.

-JNY

Old 06-24-2007, 03:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks! I PM's John at Raceway and waitng for an answer. kazuma support down south sucks! Now they tell me the chokes work fine for them but the hole in my carb is too big??????? They are sending me my stuff back and said all I need to do is buy a new carb. WTF! If the bcarb is bad, they should replace it.

I still am waiting for them to answer why the chokes move for them but not for me. I tried a 12v supply and on the harness wiht the key turned and nothing. To me it looks like they both have the needle all the way out and I can push the needle up into the housing but springs back out. I can see the needle coming out any farther really. Im so damn comfused.
I get like 1 to 2v going to harness they cannot tell me what it is supposed to be. Maybe my regulator is bad and not delivering enough juice to the choke......

ATV down now 4 weeks. Grrrrrr!

Quick Reply: Electric Choke Question