Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Need help before the Meerkat finds a lake.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 02:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help before the Meerkat finds a lake.

Hey everyone,

sorry about the frustration, but this has been a battle since day one. I bought a falcon 90 and meerkat. Both had problems running within days of purchasing them. Got the valves adjusted and the falcon did alright. I adjusted the meerkat and then when started, BANG, the starter goes out. When i mean out, i mean i opened it up and it was in pieces. So, i ordered another one online and put it on, but i just can't get this bike started. It turns over and over, but doesn't start. I replaced the CDI with the one off the falcon, same thing. Replaced the plug off the falcon also, the same. I disconnected the safety shut offs one at a time, and then both, nothing. I drained the carb (i have not cleaned it) and tried to start, same thing. I walked away for a minute, came back and tried to crank it up and it almost started, then just died again and back to the same, turn, turn, turn. I have some questions here they are.

1. How do i check for spark? Pull the wire and do what with it?

2. Should i redo the valves just in case i got it wrong on this one? Would this cause the engine to not even try to start? I put my finger over the spark plug hole and there is very good compression.

Anything else i should try?

These quads were purchased last christmas and used 4 times because of the issues and time contraints. My smallest daughter has been on my case, and i am so frustrated i am ready to tell her it will not work again and get rid of it. I know it sounds drastic, but with the little time i have, i don't want to work on this thing and rather spend time with my kids. lol

OK. enough of that, please give me some suggestions. Anybody in S. Florida by any chance that could help me out? I am handy with tools having put together a few old VW's and such, but this one baffles me. Thanks

Old 12-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Trailblazer

K to check spark pull plug, and wire connect plug back to wire & gnd. turn over & watch for spark if spark o.k. check for fuel if no spark check GNDS. to cdi. this is a startin' point..

Old 12-16-2007, 04:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the quick reply. I just checked, and it does have spark. I don't know hoe much it supposed to be, but there seems to be plenty. Next.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:12 PM
Trailblazer

Next check fuel supply this can be done different ways 1 remove bowl drain screw on bottom of bowl or cheat spray a little fuel in throat of carb. and see if it fires up if latter is done and it starts carb. is problem area plugged main, or needle seat?

Old 12-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK, i was trying to take out the carb, but there is so little space to work i was going crazy. So, i removed the cap and sprayed some carb cleaner in there and it cranked up for about 2 seconds real low idle. I guess i know where my problem is. Anyone have any ideas the easiest way to take out the carb? There is barely no space to work in there. I already have the tank off, front fenders off.

Battery is also dead, so i am waiting for my portable jumper to charge back up.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry wands no idea's about removal (can't see) what you've got there wish I could've been able to help further..

Old 12-16-2007, 10:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the help so far. Anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks

Old 12-17-2007, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider

HERE IS WHAT I RAN INTO WITH MY JETMOTO 250.

It comes with a Gel pack in the float bowl to keep it from being damaged during shipping. SOOOOOOOOO I could not get mine to start, it poured gas out of the drain tube, and filled the filter up. Could be that your bike has some trash in it, as the gel is supposed to dissolve when introduced to gasoline. Check and make sure the fuel is on. Next, take the plug out, and put a little gas in the cylinder. Try to start it. You might have to idle it up some. If that does not work, shoot some starting fluid on the filter, then hit it again. DO everything in your power to keep it running, short of blowing it up...

I took mine and beat the hell out of the float bowl with a wooden dowel to get the float unstuck. This cured my problems.

I would think that if you could get yours to idle for a half hour or so, it would be good to go. Just gotta get some fuel in that cylinder.