Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Chinese Atv Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ss97
As yourself this....... who do you think is happier today. The people that bought a 1986 Yugo for $6,000, or the ones that bought a 1986 Chevy Cavalier for the same $6,000? I still see '86 Chevy Cavaliers running around on occasion......but now many Yugos are out there?
Sorry that was supposed to be an '89 Yugo compared to an '86 Cavalier but you get the point......and the point is that new is not always better in the long run.....

Last edited by mywifesquad; 07-09-2009 at 06:29 PM. Reason: 95% of the post was a repeat...
Old 07-09-2009, 07:00 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ss97
As yourself this....... who do you think is happier today. The people that bought a 1986 Yugo for $6,000, or the ones that bought a 1986 Chevy Cavalier for the same $6,000? I still see '86 Chevy Cavaliers running around on occasion......but now many Yugos are out there?
I saw a website years ago with a bunch of Yugos made into really neat BBQ's.

SS97 and TLC, you both make good points and I personally wouldnt spend more than $2500.00 for a Chinese ATV and more likely no more than $2K.

But....that wasnt the question that was asked...

Old 07-09-2009, 07:36 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

lackin199 , RaceWayATV is located in South Amboy, NJ. Not sure how far that is from you but they do offer shipping...

Old 07-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think ill shop around and see if i can find a decent used japanese atv but thanks for all the input everyone

Old 07-13-2009, 07:27 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally Posted by lackin199
I think ill shop around and see if i can find a decent used japanese atv but thanks for all the input everyone
Good Deal....be sure to let us all know what you end up buying lackin199.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:14 AM
Trailblazer

i'll never buy another off brand atv, like others have said shop around and buy a used name brand.. with our 250t's i was happy with the speed of it for a few day's only. they claimed 60++++ mph - when real world testing showed 48mph.. but i realy do like the looks of the 250t.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

I think the people who were really unhappy are the ones (me) who paid good money for MIC ATV's a few years back when they were told the old line "its the same as a honda" and found it it wasn't. I remember when I bought my 1st MIC atv they were selling them for only like $1000 less than say a honda. Oh...But it had reverse and electric start and the motor was made in the same factory as Honda has their motors made....bla, bla. Man what a bunch a crap!!! Back then they were selling the 150cc ATV like in MWQ Quads pictures in another thread for $3200, this was back in 2005!!!

4 Years Later...

I still have that 1st quad, it runs better now then when it was new....thanks to me. But still its made cheap. The engine works fine its just the rest of the stuff.

I bought a 90cc atv a few months after and it was much better and about a Grand cheaper! I can't complain about this one it worked well and served its purpose. We sold it as they out grew it.

I then bought a Jetmoto 150 in Jan. 2008 and its been a good quad for the price. As we paid less for it then the 1st two!! Kind of a trend up here I found the prices came way down the quality went up. Kind of weird, had to do with the currency changing in value also. In hindsight I wish I would of held out, just bought the cheaper 90cc baja and then got 2 Jetmoto 150's, would have been far cheaper and far less hassles!

For kids 150cc quads and smaller I still think now a days you can do ok with a new MIC atv providing you can service it youself. For anything bigger for the most part I think your better off going with a used brand name. Like I did with the Honda 250ex. Or if your good at wrenching (enjoy tinkering) you can get a good deal on a used 200cc- 250cc mic ATV's. I mean really good deals sometimes, as guys with no mechanical know how give up and an unload them really cheap, when really there is not much wrong with them. Something to give the kids as a "project" to learn how to repair stuff and have some fun. I sometimes I think I should have done that instead of buying the honda for how little they use the damn thing these days!! I could have bought a used jet 250 for a fraction of the price of the used 250ex. But the kids wanted a honda!

Half the battle with these things is doing a proper PDI when you get it home!

Last edited by Sawyer; 07-14-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds like good advice all around here. If you are looking for a low cost kid's entry-level, then the little MIC rides will work very well in majority of cases. If you are a big kid looking for something more advanced then you should really consider buying a used big name.

I've got a Chineese 110cc mini for the kids that has been running great for 1.5 years. I'm happy, and the kids are really happy with it. I have some friends that bought name brand 90s for their kids and have had some repairs in the same amount of time. That being said, I know in 5 more years the hondas and can-ams will be worth something in resale while mine will not.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:09 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally Posted by banwartm
That being said, I know in 5 more years the hondas and can-ams will be worth something in resale while mine will not.
This is a real drawback to owning Chinese quads...Re-Sale! Im glad I dont ever plan on selling any of mine...From what I have read of the people who did sell them, its kind like giving them away...

Old 07-17-2009, 09:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Sawyer
I think the people who were really unhappy are the ones (me) who paid good money for MIC ATV's a few years back when they were told the old line "its the same as a honda" and found it it wasn't. I remember when I bought my 1st MIC atv they were selling them for only like $1000 less than say a honda. Oh...But it had reverse and electric start and the motor was made in the same factory as Honda has their motors made....bla, bla. Man what a bunch a crap!!! Back then they were selling the 150cc ATV like in MWQ Quads pictures in another thread for $3200, this was back in 2005!!!

4 Years Later...

I still have that 1st quad, it runs better now then when it was new....thanks to me. But still its made cheap. The engine works fine its just the rest of the stuff.

I bought a 90cc atv a few months after and it was much better and about a Grand cheaper! I can't complain about this one it worked well and served its purpose. We sold it as they out grew it.

I then bought a Jetmoto 150 in Jan. 2008 and its been a good quad for the price. As we paid less for it then the 1st two!! Kind of a trend up here I found the prices came way down the quality went up. Kind of weird, had to do with the currency changing in value also. In hindsight I wish I would of held out, just bought the cheaper 90cc baja and then got 2 Jetmoto 150's, would have been far cheaper and far less hassles!

For kids 150cc quads and smaller I still think now a days you can do ok with a new MIC atv providing you can service it youself. For anything bigger for the most part I think your better off going with a used brand name. Like I did with the Honda 250ex. Or if your good at wrenching (enjoy tinkering) you can get a good deal on a used 200cc- 250cc mic ATV's. I mean really good deals sometimes, as guys with no mechanical know how give up and an unload them really cheap, when really there is not much wrong with them. Something to give the kids as a "project" to learn how to repair stuff and have some fun. I sometimes I think I should have done that instead of buying the honda for how little they use the damn thing these days!! I could have bought a used jet 250 for a fraction of the price of the used 250ex. But the kids wanted a honda!

Half the battle with these things is doing a proper PDI when you get it home!
Exc advice!

I've bought a 110cc mini hummer for my 6 yrs old boy and at first I thought I have bought a lemon because it was running perfectly fine after I assemble it and all PDI and stuff (check all hardware loctite etc) but after the first few runs I have trouble starting it and I did not bother working on it during the winter months until this spring and after checking all wiring , gas line etc I took the carb out and notice the choke was made with thin cast material and was stuck closed (its a manual choke and I think I put too much pressure on the choke lever and damage it on our very last use) and a trip to the dealer we bought it and after shell out $40 and got home with a new carb after 30mins later I bring her back to life and my son and his friends (neighbors's kids) already having a blast this summer.

If I wasn't have enough patience to check everything take the carb apart I would never know the choke was stuck closed and hence starting the unit.

I have to admit these mic atv has some issue the parts / material they use is not top notch quality and have some room to improve however I can not complain due to the fact I only paid $400 out the door with a brand new unit and even some spending few bucks here and there (replaced all fuel line, add petcock,add a magnetic drain plug, loctite all nuts & bolts etc) I am still spending way less than a brand name kids quad.

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty and like tinkering on cars , engine they are great but if you have to rely on paying someone to get something fix in case something goes wrong then may be a used brand name quad might better suits you.