Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Old project, am I on the right track?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 09:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Old project, am I on the right track?

Ok so I know its not an atv but I do have a china atv with the same issue.
The bikes been sitting for some time with no spark so I got out the old free harbor freight multimeter and poked around.
At first I thought it was the coil so I replaced it for a whopping five bucks. No spark.
Then I poked around and found about 55+vAC coming off my stators power wire. I then tested the blue pick up wire that runs to the cdi and found .2vAC. Keep in mind this is all off the kick, starters bad and will be replaced once I get it up and running.
I unplugged the black wire to my 5 pin cdi and kicked it no spark and no voltage to the coil or yellow wire to coil.
I then tested the kill switch wire and with ignition key on and kill button on the multimeter picked up no reading. Switched each to off individually and together and all three test showed just under 4ohm's.
Do these readings point to a failed cdi? Is there any specific test to do on these cdi's with a multimeter? Is there anything that will cause them to fail? (i.e. time, grounding out, etc) Are those decent readings from the stator?

Any advice is helpful and I'll make sure to mention your forum handles to the police from my village when I start tearing up the subdivision streets again!

Old 10-04-2016, 02:51 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Pick up coil signal seems low at .2v but it is just a signal. Some CDIs work by earthing the kill wire to kill the spark, some the opposite way, so try kicking it over with the kill wire earthed. A faulty voltage regulator can blow a CDI (too many volts), as can a bad connection on the CDIs earth wire, but they do just fail for no reason, especially on Chinese bikes.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmmm

Originally Posted by merryman
Pick up coil signal seems low at .2v but it is just a signal. Some CDIs work by earthing the kill wire to kill the spark, some the opposite way, so try kicking it over with the kill wire earthed. A faulty voltage regulator can blow a CDI (too many volts), as can a bad connection on the CDIs earth wire, but they do just fail for no reason, especially on Chinese bikes.
Thanks for the help. Ordered a new cdi. Whats the best way to test one? I'm also trying to run the bike without a battery but it should still run off the kick right? Its not really a complex bike. Only electrical accessories are a light, horn, starter/kill switch, and an ignition so it should definitely spark and runs of the kick right?

Old 10-05-2016, 02:33 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Although a bike with AC CDI will start without a battery, once running, the regulator is overworked, and as I posted above, too many volts = toasted CDI. Also, an engine that hasn't run for a while can take some starting and you usually get tired of kicking before that happens. It is a lot easier to fit the battery and then fault trace any reasons for non starting, rather than the other way round.