Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Kymco mxu 450i seems rather under powered...or is this normal.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 11:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kymco mxu 450i seems rather under powered...or is this normal.

Hi, new to the forum and to ATV's, hope ive got this in the right thread.
Ok so ive bought a Kymco MXU 450i, its a 2015 but was never used so I got it with 48 miles on it, it starts and runs fine, oil and water levels are good, no warning lights, heres my issue that's if it is an issue, mine wont rev past 6000 rpm and has a top speed of 45 mph on a flat road, it seems to struggle up hill but off road in 4 wheel drive it isn't to bad, I bought it mainly for road use, are these figures correct for this quad or could there be a problem with it, a friend of mine said it maybe because it is in the break in period and I may find it gains more power during its first few weeks of use.
Thanks guys.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just came off the phone from Kymco, they tell me there is a restrictor plate in the throttle body which reduces power by about 40% and also limits throttle movement, they think mine was never removed by the dealer for whatever reason as theres only about an inch and half movement of throttle and they say there should be almost three inches of movement, so out come the screw drivers and will see how well this goes with full throttle movement.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:24 AM
Trailblazer

Hello again Thundercat6. Kymco are made in Taiwan. So I guess you could go here. But you will find more information in the Arctic Cat forum. The late model AC core 450 and 500 is the same Kymco drive train. Also the AC XC450 too! People in Taiwan do not like to be considered Chinese.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Yep something is not right there, I have the 450i in the UTV and it revs to 7500 rather quickly then the rev limiter kicks in. I am quite sure they are the same engine. That atv should haul a$$ when it runs right. Did you get it from a dealer and does it have a warranty? Repair manuals (hard copy) are availiable online at "repairmanual.com" or an online only manual is availiable at "cyclepedia.co". If it was forgotten the dealer should take care of that...

Old 12-05-2016, 09:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think the 450 atv goes a lot faster than the 450 utv but definitely should be a little faster than 45 mph. Arctic Cat has the 450 4x4 sport model with the same engine(similar to a Can-Am Renegade in looks) and it only tops out at about 50 mph. I would have thought it would be faster but that's it. That engine makes about the same power than the old 500cc Polaris Sportsman but the Sportsman 500 will do around 60 mph stock. Even the Honda Foreman 500, which makes less power, will do 55 mph.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

They do use a slightly different gear ratio in the ATV vs the UTV so the atv should get around 55 mph. The bigger issue is he is not at peak rpm...7500 for that engine so when he gets to that rpm he will probably be around 55mph. The lack of throttle opening is not allowing the cvt to reach its final ratio. That 450 engine is a short stroke engine and it winds up fast, the acceleration on these is faster than many 500 engines from 0-35 mph. He definitely has an issue with not reaching max rpm. Hopefully he lets us know when he gets it figured out....I am curious.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

Also, never confuse Taiwan with Red China. Taiwan has quality controls and standards. Kymco quality is top notch. Stuff made in Red China is hit or miss, mostly miss.

Old 12-05-2016, 04:04 PM
Trailblazer

His second post he had it figured out! Dealer forgot to remove the restrictor plate, Europe, England thing. My MXU 450i hits 56 mph before the limiter kicks in at 7.5k. On a side note our Grizzly 450 hits 55 mph max with around 6 less hp. Difference is the Kymco seems geared down in the final drive compared to the Grizzly. When the Kymco hits 56 mph the Grizzly is probably 10 lengths behind if not more. Plus the Grizzly speedometer is very generous, 55 mph on the Grizzly is actually 52mph! The Kymco speedometer is accurate!

Old 12-06-2016, 02:52 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

"Europe, England thing." Nowt to do wi us! My guess is they fit it to stop people revving the nuts off an engine before it is run in, at 48 miles it won't be. They probably take it off at the first service.

We were going to go for a TGB dealership (Taiwan Golden Bee) but the one we bought as a demonstrator gave so much trouble we gave up on them.

If the Taiwanese don't like being called Chinese, why is their official name The Republic of China?

Old 12-06-2016, 06:07 AM
Trailblazer

I forgot my "?" mark on the England, Europe comment! On Taiwan being called the Republic of China, hostile takeover?