Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

stiff front shocks... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 04:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stiff front shocks... HELP!

my boy is 6 and has outgrown his 110cc TaoTao so I just picked him up a new coolster 125. Everything I hear says the shocks are rock hard.... anybody use a softer, gas or otherwise, shock. Looks like a 10.5 - 11.0 eye to eye.

He rides so aggressively that when he hits rough terrain his little 50lb body bounces all over the place...... thank goodness he's got a strong grip.

This bike is definitely more advanced (his first semi-automatic) and I want him to comfortable while he learns to shift. Even overly soft is ok for right now - I'll put the stiffer ones back on later.

Your advice is appreciated,

Thanks!

Old 07-11-2017, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You , perhaps should look for softer springs. Maybe springs from a smaller model will fit, then when he gets bigger, put the heavier springs back on. So, any chance springs from the 110 or maybe a 90 cc model might fit?

Old 07-11-2017, 06:57 PM
Trailblazer

good point! I'll see if they fit. Looks like the coolster comes with nitro but what was I thinking? the piggy back are just for looks. For $900 out the door + DMV reg. I'm not going to complain.

I thought maybe someone found some that were the right softness for a 50lb 6 year old.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you removed a spring, you could take some measurements, then put it on a scale and measure how many pounds to deflect 1 inch, maybe pounds to deflect 2". My Arctic Cat Diesel rear springs are 190 lbs per inch, or thats the rating. So it takes 380 lbs to compress them 1" . It's a heavy machine that weighs about 900 lbs. Where to buy new springs, don't know, But they are pretty cheap. I broke one on the diesel, a new one was only $38 from the dealer. Should be much cheaper for what you need. You could look at ones for the 90 cc, Polaris, Arctic Cat, Kawasakis, etc, that might be a choice, don't know.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:16 PM
Trailblazer
Cool

that's something to think about. I found some cheep-o adjustable shocks on the internet - there are some pretty good gas ones too.

I think it's time to get off my recliner and do some hands on.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:34 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

if its a new machine they will soffen up with use