Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

My Quad Has Bad electrical issues

Old 11-23-2017, 08:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Quad Has Bad electrical issues

My 110cc coolster quad was working when my friend had it. Then he took off the carburetor and he took out the spark plug. Then he gave it to me. I put a spark plug in and I put gas down the carb opening then tried to start it with my 12v electric scooter battery. no lights, no clicks no nothing. When I shorted it from the solenoid I got it to crank. But with normal ignition, I even tried the brake safety switch with both brakes and still nothing. I have been struggling to find the issue for a few weeks but no luck. I have had a electricly enclined friend held me and so far we have had no luck. I need serious help from somebody. I want to be able to turn the key, hit the ignition and have it crank. I need help.

P.S. My friend who had it last clipped off the battery connections. I did research and I think I hooked it up right, but I am not sure

Old 11-24-2017, 03:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

I don't know the Coolster, but all quads have similar set ups for ignition switch circuits. Regarding battery leads, positive goes to solenoid, negative to earth. A thinner wire runs from either bat pos or solenoid pos terminal to ignition switch and regulator, through a fuse. Check you have battery power (a test lamp is better than a voltmeter for this) to fuse, then to ignition switch, then from ignition switch to light switch etc. Don't forget the negative side, a bad earth will give the same symptoms as a bad positive wire.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am confused. I took off the wiring harness and found no inline fuse. And when I saw the bare wires they left me there were two big wires, one red and one green. And there was a small red wire as well. I know for sure I am getting power to the solenoid but nothing beyond that. I do not own a test lamp or voltmeter. Where can I get one?

Old 11-25-2017, 04:44 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Any electrical supplier and most car accessory shops will have the AVO meters. Some car accessory shops will have professional 12v test lamps, but any motorcycle indicator stalk or car reversing lamp will do for a test lamp, as long as it has an incandescent bulb (not LED). That thin red wire you mention will be the one that feeds power to the ignition. In my opinion it should have a fuse in the line somewhere, but if it hasn't, get one (accessory shop again, 15amp in-line fuse) and connect it between battery positive and that thin red wire.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK, ill pick up a test lamp when I can...But what about the green and red wires? mostly I have seen that the two reds go to positive and the green wire goes to negative. Should I make a ground wire coming from the frame to negative as well? I really appreciate your help

Old 11-25-2017, 05:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Oh, and as I mentioned before I am using a razor scooter battery. It already has a #30 fuse in the wires coming from the battery. I just bypassed it because when I direct connected it to the starter it popped the fuse. And it seems to short and the battery fizzels when I hook it up, but nonetheless the starter turned.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:07 AM
Elite Pro Rider

In Honda's wiring system,pale green/red is for the solenoid feed wire, usually from the start button. If the harness is that badly hacked about, and you are not all that familiar with electrics (or you would already have the meter and test lamp), it may be best to try to find a Coolster 110 wiring diagram on-line, and get your "electricly enclined friend" to wire things up to the diagram.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

That's the thing, I have tried to find the wiring diagram and everything is the same. It just doesn't make sense. And I am familiar with electrics, I have been working with a lot of the basics. Do I need to send a picture of the wiring harness?

Old 11-27-2017, 03:07 AM
Elite Pro Rider

No, pictures of hacked about harnesses are a waste of time. Someone on hers is trying that with a Suzuki, and you just can't work anything out from a photo. My advice stands, if you can't work it out yourself, get help from someone who can read a wiring diagram, and do tests using it.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

You can purchase a new wiring harness complete with all new electrics for these 110 atvs on Ebay for around 40$ US.
Comes complete with new wire harness, cdi, coil, handle bar switch, new ignition with keys, solenoid, voltage regulator, stator and a spark plug.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Quad Has Bad electrical issues