Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

2007 Katerra KMV 250

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Katerra KMV 250

Good Evening All,

I have acquired a Chinese Quad from my Dad but I am having some issues with it a few years back my dad worked at Walmart where he got this quad it was returned to the store due to the fact it has a backfire from what I can hear its in the air box....after checking the plug hole it is stripped can that cause a backfire? or is it something else also I am having issues finding the Neutral position as well if I play with the shifter a bit I can manage to slightly lift the shifter and can get it to start after running for a bit it gets harder to find the neutral light is there a way to bypass the shift sensor? it is a 4 speed 1 down 4 up I thought I would find a way to bypass this so I can get it running when I am a ways away from civilization lol any help would be awesome I look forward to see what responses I receive.

Tony

Old 07-30-2019, 02:18 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 305 Likes on 299 Posts

Backfires are usually caused by either ignition timing being slightly off, wrong fuel/air ratio in the carb or exhaust leaking between cylinder head and pipe.

No idea what a Katerra looks like, but there will be a wire from the gearbox to the neutral lock-out and light. You could put a switch to short out this wire, as near to the gearbox as possible. Most use the negative side for the gearbox switch so a switch that shorts the wire to earth, but it could be on the positive side, so a live wire to the new switch would then be required. It may be as easy to fix the gearbox switch unit itself, depending on where it is. Hondas, 350 to 500 are a right pain to get at the switch, as are Suzuki Eigers because alternator cases need to come off to get at it, but Yamahas tend to have the switch easier to get at and fix.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Morning merryman,

Than you for the response i will try looking a little closer at the carb. The neutral switch is located on the left hand side just below the shift lever i did replace the end of the wire as i thought that was the issue but looks like when i lift the shift lever slightly it will start lol. thanks for the response. I will try and find a pic of the quad

Old 07-31-2019, 01:32 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 305 Likes on 299 Posts

If the switch can be removed from the outside of the engine, do so. Check it over, clean the contacts if you can, or see if you can get a new one if needed. I don't think a picture of the bike would help.