Club News and Events Share information about ATV clubs, club activities and membership, ATV events, etc.

Are You Supporting The Closure Of Our Public Lands?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 07:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are You Supporting The Closure Of Our Public Lands?

Many of you probably heard that John Edwards was in Portland, Oregon this past week. I have no problem with any political party carrying their message to the public. I have a problem the position local sportswear and outdoor product manufacturers took during this visit. Our local newspaper, The Oregonian, published the fact 21 manufacturers like Columbia Sportswear and Leatherman participated in Edwards visit by conveying their support for the Kerry/Edwards campaign. I am sure you are all aware that the Kerry/Edwards campaign firmly supports legislation to change the zoning of many of our National Forests and public lands so that we can no longer enjoy many of our outdoor recreation. This legislation not only affects our sports, it discriminates against the handicapped by not offering free access to those who cannot physically hike into these remote regions and enjoy the many precious gifts these lands have to offer. What this means is the local sport manufacturers are spending the money they earn from your purchases to close our local National Forest and public lands to activities like Hunting, Fishing, Snowmobiling, All Terrain Vehicle and Motorcycle riding, to mention a few. In my opinion, these manufacturers are biting the hand that feeds them.

These companies will not realize the repercussions of their decisions unless we stand up and take action. I am going to do more than simply ensure my voting in the poles this November supports those who believe in my sports. I will no longer buy any products from Columbia, Leatherman, and Recreational Equipment Inc. I have contacted GI Joe’s to get their formal opinion on this matter. As far as I am concerned, if GI Joe’s does not contact their suppliers like Columbia and Leatherman and request them to remain politically unbiased then they fall into the same category as the manufacturers. I will no longer buy products from GI Joe’s unless I get a satisfactory response. I will inform everyone GI Joe’s position.

I ask that everyone take on a battle similar to mine in support of their sport. We can no longer sit back and assume these lands will remain open for our sports. We must all take steps not only at the poles and by supporting our local organizations, but in the products we purchase and the letters we write to our politicians. I ask that you inform your friends and local Hunting, Fishing, Snowmobiling or ATV organizations of these manufacturers too. I ask that all of you take a small portion of the passion you have for your sport and reflect that in your daily activities before we no longer have access to the lands necessary to enjoy our wonderful outdoor sports.

David B.
9/17/04