Club News and Events Share information about ATV clubs, club activities and membership, ATV events, etc.

I need insurance info for Massachusetts

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need insurance info for Massachusetts

I need info on trying to find insurance for my atv in this state.I have tried almost every different direction with no luck,I am hoping somebody reading this will already have insurance for their atv and can point me in the right direction.I have searched online,I have inquired with my own insurance company,I have posted replies with other atv club's web sites and I am still without insurance.
It is close to imposible to get insurance for atv's in Mass.
The reason I am looking to insure my atv is because myself and a few other riders are planning an atv trip to Canada and atv liability insurance is mandatory to ride their trails! $500.000 Canadian dollars worth of liability!

Old 02-09-2005, 12:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

progressive insurance gave me a quote of $174.00
erie insurance was $165.00 added with my auto policy.
these were quotes for liability,theft,and collision no medical.
rates were in va. I assume they write policy in mass.
good luck

Old 02-09-2005, 08:29 AM
Range Rover

I appreciate the reply but Progressive will not write an atv or motorcycle policy for Mass. I have had alot of suggestions to this question on my atv club's web site and other club's web sites but not one person has said that they can get insurance in my state.I have heard that there are over 15,000 registered atv's in my state and I am having a hard time believing that not one person has insurance on their atv.
Here is a scenario: what if you got in an accident with another atv? Some atv trails cross streets legally,what if you hit a car while crossing that street?

Old 02-09-2005, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider

Massachusetts has some funky insurance laws. Some companies can't write business in Mass (like Geico).

I think your best bet would be to call someone at the sate insurance office and get the low down from them. They set the regulations, so they should be able to tell you who can legally write business for ATV insurance in the state.

Old 02-09-2005, 09:37 PM
Range Rover

Thanks GlennJ,that's a good point,I think that will be my next step,if I can get any answers at the state level.....then I am almost SOL!
I did get this one tid-bit of info though that I might use as a last resort,insure my atv out of state but the down side of that is if I did get in an accident with someone, a lawyer would surely have a field day with it being insured out of state but where the atv is stored is in Mass.

Old 03-29-2005, 02:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Cleve,

Did you have any luck finding insurance yet? There are a few other states that require you have liability insurance to ride. I'm interested if you've found anything out at the state level or are we SOL? Thanks.

Old 03-29-2005, 07:44 PM
Range Rover

Hey Guys,

I contacted six insurance companies about ATV insurance in Mass. Well like the previous person said Mass. has crazy laws. I've been told that NO company will underwrite insurance for ATVs in the Commonwealth.

As for other states I was told they would not require insurance from Mass. residents as they cannot legally obtain it. However your machine must be registered in Mass.

Good Luck and post any success stories here for anyone interested.

Bank

Old 03-30-2005, 07:59 AM
Range Rover

I guess that's a good thing ....not needing insurance to ride in other states that require it for their own riders but the problem I am having is that what about riding in Canada?,that's what got me to post this question on the forum...Canada requires it.I don't know if they will allow Massachusetts riders to use their trails because our state doesn't require insurance. I know of many riders from my state that go up there to ride in the Quebec Province and the trails are awesome.I think you take a chance is what it amounts to,you can buy trail passes and the places that sell the trail passes won't ask for proof of insurance.
I have kind of given up on trying to get insurance but I did hear one thing though and that's if somebody uses their atv for plowing and utility work,you can get insurance.....I'm waiting for this person to get back to me on this,it's his buddy that has the insurance.

Old 03-30-2005, 02:59 PM
Range Rover

Hey Cleve,

I would check with the Canadian authorities and see what they say. Tell them that is not a case of Mass offering insurance for ATV. It is a case that nobody will insure us period. As for the other idea, I believe that maybe the one loophole in that if you tell them you use your machine for work or utility purposes that might get you in. But you may have a problem if you are in Canada on a vacation and you end up in a situation, they may tell you that you are not insured for casual use of the machine.

Thanks,
Bank

Old 05-11-2005, 11:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Any luck on Insurance info for MA? I want to take a trip to NY out to Lake George and they require insurance.

Quick Reply: I need insurance info for Massachusetts