Club News and Events Share information about ATV clubs, club activities and membership, ATV events, etc.

Eastern Mass atv club interest?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 05:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eastern Mass atv club interest?

nitsy can you send me all of the information that you have gathered because i have been contacted by a member of greater boston motorsports on another forum and he has said for me to get him watever information i can because he wants to help out in any way he can.

Old 06-14-2005, 06:02 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like fun,I cant wait.Is it all trails or are there some open areas?Any good hill climbs and stuff like that?I should be picking up the other quad this week and give it a tune up and other things and get it ready.Is there a speed limit inthe forest?Do you have any pics?I will be taking some while out there.both for pleasure and some for research to help our cause down this way.Later Nitsy

Old 06-14-2005, 06:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

UPDATE: I have 41 people that have expressed interest in a club through the internet survey plus whatever number that Frank from Plymouth has collected. The actual setting up of a club has not been going too well so far. I have tried to meet with some knowledgeable advisors but they have been very busy.
In order to give this effort a chance to succeed it's going to need a few talented and responsible people to serve as club officers. Until we have at least a president, vice president, and treasurer; nothing will happen.
We need a PO Box and money to get a lawyer and file a charter with the state as a non-profit and then get a tax employer ID number and then a bank account. It's not a lack of money issue it's a matter of having the dedicated people to be responsible for it. We need volunteers and suggestions.

In the mean time there is an effort underway to further our goals to protect the sport in Mass. If we were already a club we would certainly be contributing to the effort described below.
QUOTE FROM THE PRESIDENT OF WESTERN MASS ATV:
As everyone is aware, this year the state has decided not to reopen Savoy State Forest to ORV use. The current legal riding for ORVs is down from 34 Forests/ Parks to just 7, and actually only 5 for ATVs.
If this trend continues, there will be no legal riding on public land. There are already rumblings about the criteria used for closing Savoy being applied to other Forests.
The Berkshire Trails Council has started a fund to be used towards maintaining and increasing our legal riding areas. Several ORV clubs understand the importance of this issue, and have generously donated to this fund. The work we will need to do to not only preserve what we have, but attempt to expand our riding areas will not be easy, and will not be inexpensive.
There are thousands of individuals and groups that donate large sums of money to restrict our access. We need to be as committed to saving our sport as those other groups are to doing away with it.
There are 25,000 registered ORVs in this state, and probably 10 times that number unregistered. Imagine the results we could achieve with just $5 for each user.
PLEASE spread the word about this fund. Talk with your dealers. Encourage them to get involve, and to provide assistance. The address for this fund is:
Trails Preservation Fund
PO Box 584
Bellingham MA 02019

Old 06-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Range Rover

Nitsy- I did take a few pics, but by and large a vast majority is trail through forest riding... not many scenic stops as the foliage restricts the views, and hill climbs only when the trail goes up, lol. We did find one open field with a track of sorts run through it, but it was behind posted signs and we honored those. I know of no posted speed, but the terrain and corners will force you to behave. Riding with the lights on was a huge help, and we always saw oncoming traffic in plenty of time. We saw sport bikes and utes, motorcycles, one 6x6, and one guy about 200 pounds on a 90cc quad that was giving it h3ll, lol.

Old 06-14-2005, 09:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Nitsy, how many contacts do you have? Can you email the info or should we set up a meet to put what we have together?

FrankC, I'd be willing to meet with you and or your Boston Motorsports Guy and anyone else that has the time, resources and experience to help put this together. You're already in the survey database. A few of the responses indicated an interest in taking a leadership role. Anyone wishing to re-emphasize that desire can email me at webmaster@massatv.org . I will be putting together another group newsletter with a request for volunteers and nominations for officer positions.

FYN, I never got your email address so you're not on the list yet.

Now to get back OFF- topic. LOL

I only rode at Pittsfield once and it happened to be a 4th of July weekend ! I got a tentsite at the top, one of only 3 camp sites (#11, 12, or 13) that you can ride an ATV from in the entire state park system. If you don't have reservations for one of those three sites you'll have to trailer over and unload at the trailhead. (Hint: When I got to the park I asked them to let me know if one of the sites cancelled and one did. I went riding and they left a note on my truck telling me I got the site when I got back. Nice people ! )

I only got to ride the northern half of the park http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/trails...eld-Summer.gif . You can enter the trails from the main gate end or unload at Balance Rock. I didn't see the main trailhead but the Balance Rock trailhead looked pretty convenient. I'm told there is a way to access the trails from the south off RT 20 but I've heard the trails going up are kinda rough with some wash-outs and blocked go-rounds. I almost got to ride the southern half of the park with a group of sport quads but they only wanted someone with a winch on their quad to pull them out of the mud, otherwise I would have been just slowing them down. The northern half that I rode had lots of family groups and everybody looked like they were having a blast. Even the non-atver's seemed to be fascinated with the ATV activity (make sure you give'em the required courtesy.)

I'm sure you'll enjoy the place.

Old 06-14-2005, 10:53 PM
Trailblazer

I am willing to volunteer and help out if you need it. Let me know what kind of help you need. I can give you my email if i didnt leave it in the survey.

Old 06-15-2005, 03:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Jon, You were the first person to respond to the survey and you did indicate a willingness to take a leadership position. You will be invited to the first meeting.

Old 06-15-2005, 09:19 AM
FYN
Trailblazer

Hey budferret, I sent you my e-mail in a private message, just making sure you got it

Old 06-15-2005, 05:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have sent the information that we have so far as to our club organization to a member of the greater boston motorsports team. when he gets back to me ill let you guys know.

Old 06-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Trailblazer

Ok thats cool budferret, just let me know. Anyone got plans to go riding on the south shore this weekend?

Quick Reply: Eastern Mass atv club interest?