Club News and Events Share information about ATV clubs, club activities and membership, ATV events, etc.

Oklahoma Banning ATVs from Kids 12 and Under

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oklahoma Banning ATVs from Kids 12 and Under

GOOD LUCK Wednesday, I hope alot of people turn out for it. We didn't know about this until it was too late.

Old 03-17-2006, 01:25 PM
Trailblazer

UPDATE

Bill 1830 has been assigned to the Health and Human Services committee in the HOUSE, March 16.

The committee list is at okhouse.gov

This bill has no title and can be changed by this committee and also the floor to include whatever and whomever they want.

Write them and explain what you want or would like to see happen in regards to this bill.

Later, ATVMOM

Old 03-29-2006, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

I will say I am glad they got that atv's for kids out of that bill. Its one of our families favorite passtimes as well. I think the helmet law for kids is not entirely a bad idea. I see plenty of parents at Wanoka that don't have the common since god gave a goose. Its not uncommon to see small children on mom or dad's huge 600+cc machines, that they can't even reach the pegs or floorboards, much less the hand brakes, all the while not wearing a helmet and hauling a smaller sibbling at the same time, also not wearing a helmet. There are parents out there that could maybe need a little wakeup call on taking proper care of there kids to keep them safe. I am not saying I am going to call in supporting any kind of additional legislation, but as long as its not going to be anymore invasive than what was mentioned, I don't feel the need to fight it either. Even though I am in wichita I am still an Okla resident, I just work up here in Wichita, in case you were wondering why it matters to me. I was born and raised in Ponca City and its still my primary residence.

Old 03-29-2006, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

Are these kids still allowed to drive 155hp jet ski's as long as an adult is on board? Just wondering what's next?

Old 03-30-2006, 11:21 AM
Trailblazer
Old 04-06-2006, 03:24 PM
Trailblazer

UPDATE on sb 1830

This passed the house committee and will go to the house floor. It has been modified and specifies "public land" and includes the definition of "public land".

More on this under thread "Helmet Law".

If you haven't written your Reps. now would be a good time. Hopefully they will not add anything worse.

Later,

ATV4MOM

Old 04-16-2006, 01:41 PM
Trailblazer

Amendments have been filed for this bill:

Nations wants to change wording from 14 to 18 in regards to carrying passengers, there are other amendments listed under the thread HELMET LAW.

From his quotes from the okinsider website he also sound like he wants to enforce this bill on PRIVATE LAND also.

Old 04-17-2006, 09:49 PM
Trailblazer

Rep. Hickman's office said that this bill as of now "does NOT specify public or private lands".

The following link is to the actual wording of the current bill and to the actual wording of the filed floor amendments by Rep. Nations, Rep. Covey, and Rep. Newport.

http://www.okhouse.gov/Legislation/B...px?BillID=2068

The committee substitute does not specify public or private lands.

The amendment on the house web site must not be the correct amendment that was passed when it was in committee. I suppose that is why Rep. Covey filed his amendment for the floor. Sorry about the confusion.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I hate to bring this up again, but I just talked to our state ABATE rep and he said that they are going to introduce the ATV bill again. This all has to do with a new health and safety guy at the capitol.

Get ready to mobilize all of you friends and clubs for this again. I have talked to our state president Mike Revere and he said that ABATE would help in any way they could.

Our rep said that this new safety guy is willing to introduce this every year until it passes or he is gone.

Old 10-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Trailblazer

Thank You springerpete, for the info.

An article in the tulsa world commented that they were going to try and base it on a bill like in North Carolina which bans kids under age 8 and sets age/cc limits into law.

We need to start fighting this early and emailing everyone we can think of like magazines/online forums to get the word out early. Last year caught alot of people unaware. They thought it was "just" a helmet law for under 18, because of the way it was presented by the media. Again, on behalf of ATVer's everywhere in OK and surrounding states I say "Thank You" to ABATE for last years efforts and the coming year.

ATV4MOM and family

Quick Reply: Oklahoma Banning ATVs from Kids 12 and Under