Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Why are Skat-Traks so good?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2000, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for paddles to use on my lightly modified 400EX but don't have any experience with them. From what I gather, after reading various posts, the Skat-Trak tires are considered to be the best by a majority of people.

My first look at one of these tires made me wonder why people think they're so hot. To me it looks like they couldn't make their own tire so they bought a tire made by someone else, ground the tread off and then glued on some paddles. How can gluing paddles on be better than having them molded in during the original production? I'm not being critical, I just don't understand. It seems to me that those glued on paddles might tear loose.

What configuration should I get for my 400EX? Is there another paddle out there that has a good reputation? Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Old 05-19-2000, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

I have Skat Trak edge paddles on my Warrior. They are pretty durable and the paddles dont come off. I bought em used for $40 for the pair and they are still like new 2 years later. They dont climb that well but I still have to try not to wheelie when drag racing, they hook up pretty well in the flat areas. If you're climbing bowls I'd go with a straight paddle. If you order from rockymountain atv you'll find quite a selection available. Btw, even though the 400EX is a fairly strong 4 stroke I'd stay away from the taller haulers and that general category, you're not gonna make enough HP to run them.

Old 05-19-2000, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trailmix, take a look at the Sand Skate II's by Sand Tires Unlimited. These tires are one piece molded paddles tires w/angled paddles. The angled paddle tires claim to fame is that they allow the ATV to slide through the turns, while the straight paddle type tend to (push) or go straight rather than turn. The other type you mentioned are in fact tires with the tread buffed off and paddles vulcanized (bonded) onto the surface. This type is strong and reliable and has been used for decades. One positive trait about it is that if a paddle is severely damaged you can send it back to Skat Trak to be replaced which you can't do with the molded type. Also the straight type paddle tend to hook up better for straight line racing/hill climbing. I my self and most of the people I ride with prefer the Sand Skate II's. Anyway that's my 2 cents!

Rude Dog

INFO:
Sand Tires unlimited (909) 676-8199
www.skat-trak.com

Old 05-22-2000, 07:33 AM
Pro Rider

I run Skat-Trak Haulers (9 paddle) on my Warrior at Silver Lake and have had no problems. One possible reason for using "glued-on" paddles would be to allow different types of rubber to be used for different purposes; soft rubber for the tire portion for a decent ride, hard rubber for the paddles for maximum traction. Straight paddles allow me up the "Test Hill" at Silver Lake, where with the angled type I'd probably only be good for half way.

Old 05-22-2000, 04:40 PM
Trailblazer

TrailMix you may also want to look at the sand sharks, they are very similar the the sand skateII but are less money. I just bought a pair for my wifes 400ex I have not tried them out yet, but we will this weekend at Coral Pink Sand Dunes in southern Utah. while you are at it you also might want to look at the dune runner for the front of your atv, they help out alot to keep the front end floating.

'00 400ex
97 Banshee
(2) 96 Blaster

Old 05-22-2000, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

Do not get the skat traks... they fall apart. I had a pair on my Banshee and they started ripping after 8-9 months. I had the skat trak edges. I think that if your going to get a straight paddle it's ok but if you want an angled paddle you should get Sand Skate II's. Sand Sharks are ok but the paddles are really short and don't have a cup to them. The cheapest price I have seen for Sand Skate II's are 77.99 at Rocky Mtn. ATV. I paid 100 bucks for my Edges and was very pissed to throw away 200 bucks in less than a year. Don't make the same mistake I made. Spend the money you'd be spending a year from now on something better like motor work.

Old 05-24-2000, 05:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Im with DunePilot. I have Scat Trak "Edges" and after one season they look like crap. Paddles are shredded (in all fairness, there are some roots in places, but I still feel they should hold up better). Thats my input... Now I saw where someone said you can send the paddle back to Scat Trak to get fixed. Is this true, if so, Im sending 2 tires back for new paddles...

RoostKing...

Old 05-24-2000, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

I hear the ITP are the best. Is that true?

Old 05-25-2000, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

I just got the latest issue of ATV Sport yesterday and they did a paddle tire comparison. They tested all the tires on a stock Banshee and timed it with a radar gun. The ITP package was the overall winner, but they also really liked the Sand Skate II. From the pictures I can see that the ITP paddles are bonded onto the tire just like the Skat-Trak's. After hearing about a couple instances where bonded paddles are tearing loose, I'm going to stay away from that type. I load my ATV into the back of my truck by driving it up a folding ramp. I'm afraid that I'd tear the paddles loose on the ramp. I think I'm going to get the Sand Skate II.