Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Paddles....Straight or V ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2000, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '00 DS650 and I want to head up to Silver Lake (Sand Dunes) this year here in MI. I've never riden in the sand before and was curious as to what type of rear paddles I should buy? Straight or V type paddles?

My bike is primarily stock, I'm a rather large person 6'2" 280, and like to climb hills. I doubt I will be doing much drag racing, just motoring around.

I'd greatly appreciate any info you have to offer.

Old 05-18-2000, 06:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

When you say climb hills, do you mean drag race others straight up the hill, or do you mean just basic hill climbing straight or at angles and playing around on the bowl of the dune?

V-paddles turn better and do better when riding on the bowl of a dune.

I went with 20x10x10 9-paddle haulers because I wanted the best sand drag tire. But when I was riding along the bowl of a dune I wished I had V-paddles because the rear end would start to slide down the hill instead of maintaining its vertical position.

Old 05-21-2000, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider

That's exactly what I wanted to know! I think I'll go with the V then. I doubt I'll be doing much hill racing, just ripping around causing chaos. Thanks!