Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Mudlites or Atr's

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 09:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mudlites or Atr's

if you go with the 25 mud lites you will not get the deep tread,only the 26 on up have the deeper tread.the bighorns have a nice deep tread in the 25's and the atr's well they have a small tread depth but do handle good and yes there seem to be some issues with them(atr's) lasting in rocky terrain..i have had 1 puncture..and have seen some on a grizzly come apart..

Old 10-28-2003, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most that I ride with like their Mudlites, but I have seen way too many punctures in them for my taste.

Old 11-09-2003, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

no complaints (or punctures) on my Mudlites yet! One part of our riding area has a but<B><FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow" face=verdana>t</FONT></B>load of cypress knees sticking up in the trail, for most of the trail. Still no problems [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-10-2003, 12:47 PM
Trailblazer

Prairie360

I ride in NE PA where the conditions are similar to what you are riding and I have 25" Mud Lites on my Grizzly. The 25's do not have the deep tread like the larger tires do but for typical trail riding they work excellent and provide a smooth ride. With the Grizzly I do not find myself wishing I had more ground clearance for normal trail riding. Seems like the people that are always in the mud seem to need the clearance, I do not hear people that are climbing over logs and stones offcamber looking for more clearance. Especially since this is happening while you are on steep hills and like to have that low(stuck to the ground) feeling. Radials are probably the tire of the future for typical trail riding and my vote would go to the bighorns for now, but I have no experience on them. One thing that I have noticed with the Mud Lites is that they do not work in reverse, I have to go into 4x4 to back up even small hills. This seems to be the case on most directional tires, you will not have this problem with the ATR's or BigHorns. And for the record I have had 1 puncture in the front on my Mud Lites in 6 months of use.

Just more info to digest!

Old 11-10-2003, 03:25 PM
Range Rover

DKNARND

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I think you are absolutely right about the conditions we ride on. And your point about REVERSE is excellent. No one, including myself or the salesman ever thought about that little nuiance.
I bought the 25" ATRs to mount on the C-Series wheels. They look awesome. If they preform half as good as they look I'll be very pleased. If you are ever in the Downsville NY area and are trailering your Grizzly, trails on my property are fun to ride.

Many thanks!

------------------------------------------

2004 Kawasaki Praire 360 4X4, Aztec Red
25" ITP Holeshot ATRs on ITP C-Series Aluminum wheels
Warn 2500ci winch

Old 11-12-2003, 04:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

DKNARND- Is your atv license a PA license or a vanity? I'm wondering if you were able to get one with what you wanted on it like some of the car licenses or that's just what you ended up with.

Do you live down in the *******Hallow? I've driven through a Benton a few times. (SW of the Glen)

Also, I wonder if the mudlites would back up any better with the larger tread? Seems to be more of a gap between the treads than the 25's. Maybe not, I guess I should go with the 589's. I seem to back up alot on steep hills so I need decent traction.

Old 11-12-2003, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

Atr's

Old 11-12-2003, 04:21 PM
Trailblazer

Coyotechaser,

You have it, I am on the Hallow road about 3 miles north of Benton toward the Glen, do I know you? I live in NJ now but spend most of my weekends up there. It is registered in PA and the plate you see in the photo has been altered via computer software. Thought it would be a neat touch.

Yes the larger tires have taller tread but it is still directional tread so I don't think there would be much imporvement. They are wider which may help but you would have to keep your air pressue low to get the footprint wide. I would think an ATR or BigHorn would still backup around you! Was riding with my nephew who had the 589's and they were not much better than the MudLites backing up steep hills. I like my Lites and will probably get a set of 26's for my other set of wheels then put a set of radials on in place of the 25" lites and if I was to buy them now I would go with the BigHorns. But I will wait on the radials because I think there will be allot more coming out, I want to see !

To help on the backing up problem I am thinking of putting a receiver system on so that I can move the winch from front to back. I think the ability to move the winch around is a major benefit. I would feel much more comfortable knowing I can winch myself back up off of a hill.

Old 11-12-2003, 11:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: DKNARND
Coyotechaser,

You have it, I am on the Hallow road about 3 miles north of Benton toward the Glen, do I know you?

No, you don't know me. It was just a guess. I've driven through the area a few times and I've been to a shooting range up that way a couple times. (years ago)

Old 11-14-2003, 11:24 AM
Trailblazer

I take it the BigHorns are radials- which company makes them? How about wear and ride comfort?

Quick Reply: Mudlites or Atr's