Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

More gorilla Grizzly CV shaft problems. Some one please help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 04:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More gorilla Grizzly CV shaft problems. Some one please help.

I’m in a bind with the Yamaha dealer ship, I am fixing to watch 350$ go down the toilet

I know most of us Grizzly owners have herd of the problems involving week CV joints, especially ones with over sized tires and some have experienced it.
Most people on the forums recommend Gorilla Axle as a solution and that is great, but my problem is that the gorilla axle I purchased backs its self out of the rear differential. Working on cars on and off I have experience installing CV shafts and feel confident that it was installed correctly. This will be the 3 time my gorilla axle will be installed. I got the Yamaha dealer involved in this time because they are the ones that sold me the 27” mud lites and Gorilla axle.
The service manager at the Yamaha dealer told me that he has read on forums before that gorilla CV shafts do this all the time; I find that funny seeing that they are the ones that sold me the CV shafts.
My question is, does any have Gorilla axles installed on there grizzly and if so have they ever had the problem of the axle backing out of the differential?
The guy at the dealer ship says that he reads about this problem on different forums all the time but I have found nothing about it in any of the main ATV forums.

Thanks for any input.

Old 03-22-2004, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

when you say "backing out" of the differential, this means it the axel is sliding out ( splines ) ??? ... this can only happen, if the axel travel exceeds the length of the axel ... look for "pull" on the axel at either, or, full compression, or full drop... this is most likely where it's happening... you could easily fabricate a nylon limiting strap, to keep the IRS from dropping too far down ( if that is where the problem is ), when going over big bumps / jumps, or fabricate a bump stop, to keep the suspension from compressing too far ( if that is where the problem is )...

I'd be willing to bet that you'd be fine with the stock axels, as long as wheel travel is limited to keep the CV joints from binding...

Old 10-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Be ware of Gorilla axles on your Grizzly 700 check for axle slop in your gear box after installing my gorilla axle was so under size the oil ran out by the seal ,could damage spline and gear box