Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

flat tire on the trail

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004 | 10:00 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default flat tire on the trail

I'm new to this forum and I wanted to hear some stories and tips of your past experiences of getting a flat tire when you least wished it to happen. What were some quick fixes that you applied, or tools that you were glad you brought (or wished you would have brought) to make it back home. hope to hear some good ones.

Old 06-26-2004 | 12:11 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Know what, I run Fix-a-Flat in all my tires all the time, and in all these years I have NEVER had a flat!

Old 06-28-2004 | 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

You're in luck I just got a flat yesterday on my Suzuki Vinson while riding on some real rocky stuff. I had a whole bottle of ATV goo with me so I put it in and pumped it up with my air compressor which I also carry with me. After I had it up I could still hear air coming out and I found a slit about half an inch long in the side of the tire, must of came from a jagged rock. Since the air was still coming out I had to plug it with a tire plug. After that I was back in business.

All I can tell you is prepair for the worst even though you hate to pack down your ATV. It would have a long 15 mile hike to my truck and I would have had to leave my ride there risking it not being there when I return. I also carry a thick cable and lock just incase I do have to leave my ride on the trail.

Old 06-28-2004 | 07:23 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

Let's see, when I least expected it. How about on the first ride down the alley when I got it home.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] Left a half inch cut in it, slime wouldn't seal it. Used fix a flat for a temp measure and won't do that again. No fun trying to clean that off the rims. IMO plugs are best, slime works, but at higher speeds throws the tire off balance. Not a good thing to be doing 50 and have your tires shaking. Keep a plug kit and toolset on the quad now.

Old 06-28-2004 | 11:42 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

that's a good idea about keeping chain and lock with you just in case like that. That would really suck to walk 15 or more miles to the truck just to come back and find no atv and couple of drag marks. good thinkin.

Old 07-29-2004 | 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

hmm i was out riding with a girl a few months ago and jammed a stick through a rear tire on the foreman.... hmm well i stuck the girl on the front rack and i sat on the farside form the flat and drove it the 25 miles on home. not a fun ride but once you get goin around 30 the flat baloons up jsut a bit and its not all bad. i did take my time and the rim made it through it jsut fine, and the tire didnt get torn up either, but it is ruined anyhow so i didnt care too much about it...it was time for new tires anyhow

Old 07-29-2004 | 05:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I went for a ride a few ago...alone...in 100+ degree heat. Before anyone starts preaching let me just say I know "that is a really stupid thing to do". I rode about 20 to 25 miles one way and then back and never saw another rider...in that kind of heat not too many people are out riding. I filled my camelback(100oz) with water, took my cell phone knowing it doesn't work all the time, and took a patch kit, tire plugs, and CO2 canisters. About half way into the ride I thought "man, if I break down I'm pretty screwed!" When the temps get over 100 it doesn't take long for the heat to get the best of you. Anyway, all went well and I made it back OK. When I unloaded my pack I realized I didn't pack the little tool you put the CO2 canister in to inflat the tire.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Kids, I reserve the right to be stupid...don't follow my lead.

Old 07-29-2004 | 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

I ride on the sand so if it flats i just ride the rim. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] not smart, but it works

Old 08-04-2004 | 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

I have runflat tires, a tube, extra valve stems, CO2, aircompressers, complete tire repair kit, big black rubber bungies cords for the big holes. I 'm sure I more stuff in my tire kit.

Old 08-12-2004 | 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

I've had 2 flats in the past year.... The 1st was on my 400EX about 30 miles from no where... I slashed a 3 inch gap in the sidewall, so I was screwed. Rode slowly until I got to some cover, then my riding buddy rode back to my truck and drove it back. The 2nd time was this past weekend....I ride a 2000 DS too, and the stock rims are crap.....I bent the he!! out of the rim, and slowly lost all my air. As I was creeping back to the trucks, I came across a jeep club, and got enough air to get back to my truck. I forsee some OMF Baja rims in my near future......
Justin

Quick Reply: flat tire on the trail