Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

ITP Mudlite Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 01:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ITP Mudlite Question

I have a 2001 Kodiak 4X4 with the stock Donelapped tires on it. I have heard mixed revews on the Mudlites. My usual riding conditions are hardpack,rocks and occasional mud. I am concerned about the rock part with the Mudlites. Has anyone used them in rocky stuff? Any recomendations for this tire or any other for the conditions listed would be appreciated!!.

Old 06-26-2004, 04:44 PM
Trailblazer

mudlites are great if all youre gonna do is ride mud swamps etc... but if you gonna ride hardpack ruts and worry about wear and tear then go with the kenda bearclaws they will last much longer beter tread life, mudlites have softer rubber but they are lighter thats the main advantage you can go up a size without sacrificing a lot of power, if money isnt a concern go with mudlites if it is i would pick the bearclaws nice aggressive tire lots of bite and you get a good tread life.

Old 06-27-2004, 03:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the suggestion. Are Bear Klaws good in rocky settings and would going up a size be too much
because of weight? I have the stock 25s on there now.

Old 06-30-2004, 02:58 AM
Trailblazer

i had a 97 big bear 350 4x4 with 26'' bearclaws excellent tire if you got a 450 high low range i would definately go with the 26'' tires you will loose some power but not that noticeable and you use low gear for mud pits, if speed is that important stick with 25'' these tires are awsome for any rough rocky tough terrain theyll handle anything you throw at them.

Old 06-30-2004, 09:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the 400 w/ hi/lo tranny. I am thinking Bear Claws here. Thanks for the advise. I know nobody else has a Kodiak 400 and needs tire advice...lol

Old 07-01-2004, 04:20 PM
Trailblazer

Im getting ready to make the same tire choice. Im split between the Bearclaws and the Mudlites. I have stock 25" tires on my 04 AC500i auto. If I go with the ITP Mudlights I think I will go to a 26" tire so that I can get a little deeper tread. These tires are lite enough that I should not have a lot of power loss going up one size.

However the Kenda Bearclaws are getting good reports as well and seem to be a much more durable tire from what Ive read. They are heavier so I would probably need to stay with a 25" tire to keep the weight down.

Now for the question, does anyone know what the tread depth is on the 25" and the 26" Kenda Bearclaw? Also the pictures make the bearclaw look like a flater (across the face of the tread surface) tire than the mudlite. The mudlite looks more rounded and I already have a problem with the big cat leaning into corners. They both seem to hook up great but does anyone have any comments on the cornering or handeling of these two tires.

Thanks Guys,

Old 07-01-2004, 07:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Freetrapper,
Send me an email ...I have some good tire info I can send you. Send to kc2fko@msn.com
The Lug depth on the 25 in Bear Claw is 1/2 inch.

Old 07-06-2004, 04:46 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Kodiak,
1/2" is not a lot of bite but I think 26" tires would be a bit heavy in the Bear Claw.
On a side note my son runs Kenda Claws on his sport quad and he loves them. They seem to be a very well made tire.

Old 07-06-2004, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

I put 26" titan 589s on my 400 kodiak and it turned them no probs,there was a difference though but it rocked.The 589s are a lot heavier than bear claws too.I had 25" bear claws on that kod first and they are a very good all around tire but I would pick dirt devils for that purpose now.

Old 07-12-2004, 03:02 AM
Trailblazer

my mudlites are a little softer than my stock tires but they performs better on all surfaces. on hardpacked surfaces, the tread down the center is closer together, which means that the ground doesnt hit the edge of the lug and wear that down, it rides on the flat part of the lug facing out and the wear is slower. its a great design, and I love em.

Quick Reply: ITP Mudlite Question