Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

400ex rear tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-1999, 12:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I blew a rear tire in the woods and am looking for replacements. I ride fairly hard in woods and mud. Would like 6 ply as getting flats suck. Also I think I should stay with the stock dimensions as I dont want to lose power if I go to a taller tire. Also want a hard rubber compound. Thanks

Old 07-19-1999, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

I would recommend either ITP Holeshots or Maxxis Razrs. I've had my 400EX for 2 months now and the rear tire already show significant wear. I ride trails so sooner or later I'm going to pop them and I have decided to get Razrs. Lots of people buy Holeshots but I want to try something different. Razrs are getting very popular among the guys in the GNCC. Bill Ballance from Kawasaki Team Green runs them. I am going to get 20x11-9 4-ply Razrs and mount them on stock rims. I am getting 4-ply versus 6-ply because I don't want all that extra weight.

------------------
Mike Frey 1994 Polaris 400L 4x4 1999 Honda 400EX Ride Red

Old 07-19-1999, 05:37 PM
Trailblazer

I just got some 22" ITP XCT Holeshots for my 400EX, and I like them alot. I wanted more ground clearance cause some of the trails I ride on are rutted out from all the 4x4 quads with lift kits and ag tires. I geared down one tooth on the front and it seems to have about balanced out. My gearing is just slightly taller than it was with the original tires. The traction is really good with these tires, and the they are a good bit wider than the stockers. I measured my stock tires once and I think they were only like 17" with about 4 lbs of air. The ITP's are all of the 22" measurement with 5 lbs. of air. My 400EX is modified somewhat so I dont think the heavier tires are so much of a problem for fast trailriding. When I go to the track to play or I will put my stock tires back on, but they are almost slicks anyway. The stock 400EX tires wear out really quick. I have never really liked them since I got the machine.

Adam Smith
99 400EX

Old 07-19-1999, 08:50 PM
Range Rover

Trail,

If you are a hardcore woods rider, I would reccomend the Pure Sports Bandits. Why?...well first they come in a 6 ply. Second, they have a bigtime aggressive tread pattern that will bite into the leaves, roots, creek beds, and whatever else you can find out there. Thirdly, the pattern is deeper and harder than the holeshots and razr's which are made softer for the racetracks and designed more for that purpose.

Like everyone else, this is my oppinion only. I used to be a hardcore four-wheeler (trucks)and the bandits remind me of my old super swampers which are still the best made tires I ever put on a truck. You need to make the decision whether you're going to race on the tracks or not and let your gut tell you what to buy.

No I don't have them now, but when I do need tires, I won't think twice about the bandits.

Steve Small

[This message has been edited by EXtreme (edited 07-19-1999).]

Old 07-19-1999, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run 20x11x9 Banditxc's all around on my Warrior. According to the tech at Pure Sports they are equivalent to a ten ply due to the Kevlar bead to bead belt. As far as I'm concerned they're bullet proof and corner like on rails. They hook up better that any thing I've ever used. I blew out a Douglas Red Label rim recently big time: you could put three fingers between the rim and the bead of the tire & the Bandit was fine, only flat due to the rim damage. Lots of rocks here in Az and mostly hard pack where I ride & these Bandits are the hot set-up. But be sure to get the xc's, the price difference is worth it $5 per tire.BTW, my stock tire is a 22", so to offset the smaller size, I am running a 15 tooth counter shaft sprocket. I tried a 14 and it probably worked out to be the same ratio, but I needed more top end for my style. I lose 1" of ground clearance but oh, well, the full length glide plate takes care of that. If you want the hot info on prices on Bandits email me cuz of the advertising ban here.Incidently these tires wear like iron in spite of the great traction...weight? not a problem. After all, you're riding a real quad, not a 90cc! Try six lbs of air for fast technical riding

Cal, the Az hard packer

[This message has been edited by hot_shoe_cv (edited 07-19-1999).]

Old 07-19-1999, 11:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a new 400ex and I have bandit xcs all the way around my wheeler. For the woods they are an excellent tire. I have had no problems with them and they hook up really well. I have had them on for over 2 months and they have done everything I could ask for out of them. For the race track I really dont know. They seem to be a little squirly on the soft dirt but you can use them to slide corners pretty well. Hope this helps in your decision.

TheViper
400ex

Old 07-29-1999, 03:10 PM
Trailblazer

I have Razrs on mine. They are the most popualr XC ties out there. The Bandit is more of a Desert tire, not to great in water.
I don't know about the Holsshot, I don't like 'em too much. Like I've said before, its just a name.

------------------
*400EX* *LT250R* Evan Johnson Email: JaVa003@AoL.CoM

Old 08-02-1999, 10:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

I think you shoiuld get Maxxis Razrs as well. I run them on my Warrior, They slide great, the have good traction in mud and snow as well, I have 4 plys and I do hard woods riding and I have yet to get a flat.

------------------

Old 08-03-1999, 03:32 PM
Trailblazer

Does anybody know how much the 6 and 4 ply Razrs weigh?

Old 08-03-1999, 05:16 PM
Trailblazer

The 4 ply weigh 15.4 lbs.
and the 6 ply weigh 15.6 lbs.

somebody from maxxiztires.com just emailed me back

Quick Reply: 400ex rear tires