Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Big tires vs. Steering effect

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-1999, 05:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a question or two here about putting 26" or 27" tires on quads. Mainly, for those of you with aftermarket tires, how did this affect how heavy your quad steers. How much of a difference was it from stock, and do you have to fight it much more? My concern is that my 26" Titan equipped AC 500 steers like a 1953 ford cab over log truck. These are stock tires of course, so I haven't made any aftermarket mistakes yet. I haven't driven a 500 with 25" tires, nor anything else with 26" tires so I don't have any comparative data. Mine steers so heavy that it quickly becomes a nusiance when turning up a small grade, or when turning at speed. Doesn't take long to get sick of it. I'd like to know how other quads have fared with larger tires in case I decide to trade. There wouldn't be any sense in me trading in on a Sportsman if it were going to turn just as bad with 27" XTs on it. I need to know something about this though. It would be really helpfull if anyone else had experience with the Arctic Cat and another bike both.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 07-25-1999, 03:56 PM
Trailblazer

I use to have a 97 Sportsman 500, and i felt it steered heavy also. I found myself cutting the corners( instead of the turn i would cut thru the woods and end back on trail so i wouldnt have to turn the bars). It had the stock tires and rims. It also didnt matter if i was AWD or 2WD. Unless the AC steers better then this did, it would not be benaficial for the switch. I wish i had the chance to ride a AC so i could give more acurate information. this is just my opinion of what mine felt to me. hope it helps

------------------
Steve Shultz 97,98 Forman 400, 96 CR250<---trading for 400EX

Old 07-26-1999, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

On my Wolverine the Goodyear mudrunners steer alot easier the the stock tires!!!!

Old 07-27-1999, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

The stiffness of the side-wall of the tire has something (I think alot) to do with it as well. I'm not sure how stiff the side-walls are on the Titans, but most aftermarket tires are stiffer than stock. Why do you want to get rid of the AC 500 and get a Polaris? What about the new AC 500 automatic, 2x or 4x selectable, that is coming in Sept./Oct.

Old 07-28-1999, 03:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The only bitch I have about the AC is the heavy steering. If I was to trade, the only thing I would really consider would be a 500 Sportsman, and only then because of the rear suspension. I love the semi independant on mine, and I wouldn't get rid of it for a straight swingaxle bike, so the sportsman would be the only choice. I figured that the sportsman turns a lot easier. It always seemed easier when I test drove it, but then again that was for 5 minutes on level ground. I like the ground clearance too. As far as power, I have as much as I need now, and though I don't have the takeoff of a Polaris, I can hang with a Sportsman at top end as good as most any other utility. I dont particularly care for the Automatic AC. I doubt it turns much better, and I would prefer the manual shift if I'm not getting an easier steering quad. I may not trade at all though. Its just a thought that I've pondered, and I wanted some information to help weigh my options. Other than the steering, the AC 500 is an unbelievable bike.

------------------

Old 07-29-1999, 03:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

G. B., I'm like you on this. I don't, nor have I ever really thought it was the tires. Not after having driven other ACs at the dealership. I'll try that thing whenever I can get around to it. I'll do it at night cause its about 102 degrees in the daytime. As for tire pressure, I run them all at 4.5 psi. I doubt I'd ever run more than 6, and I never have run that much to be honest. I prefer the ride and traction I guess. I will check on that differential though.

The trade in idea is about to become null and void anyway I think. It performed alright on the trails today, and I finally went through that big mud hole that I wouldn't try earlier. It wasn't as big now though. The biggest kicker was Bill Cillberti's post about his 99 Sportsman. Sounded bad, real bad. It made me remember why I bought this AC. As much as I liked the ride of the sportsman and all, I just couldn't get over that risk factor of getting a lemon, so I didn't get it last fall. I guess I forgot that over 8 months and wanted one again, but reality has kicked in again, so I'll probably just keep the AC. It agrivates me though. Polaris makes such fine riding bikes, why do they have to make so many of them like crap. I just really want it, but then its like I know better. I need to get a new truck, then I'll have a payment and can forget about new quads.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Andy Bassham (edited 07-29-1999).]

Old 07-29-1999, 07:59 PM
Trailblazer

Andy I know your dilemma. When I was looking into getting a new quad this year I narrowed it down to the AC 500, Sportsman, or the Grizzly. The non-liquid cooled 600cc motor and rear suspension on the Grizzly outweighed the greater horsepower. I liked the rear suspension and selectable 2 or 4wd on the Sportsman as well as the ground clearance, but there was that nagging question of reliability. I've heard several people talk about problems they have had with their polaris and other people blame it on the service at their dealer. This, to me, seems like they're skirting the issue since if your bike doesn't have any problem you don't have to deal with the dealer in the first place. I've heard people that own Polarises and have not had any problems and are adamant in their opinion that they have a quality bike. Even after I decided on the AC 500 I still had a nagging question in my mind as to whether or not I should have gotten the Sportsman. This notion was finally put to rest as I flipped through the classifieds in my area. There was a list as long as your arm of people selling Polarises. I would have to say that the ratio of Polarises to other bikes was at least 3:1. This made me think that if Polarises are such good bikes why are so many people trying to get rid of them?
Everyone has their own opinion on which is the best bike and everyone has their own expectations on what they want their bike to do. I put great store in reliability and low maintenance and not so much in the hottest suspension and the most power. For those people who choose to buy a polaris I wish them well and expect they will enjoy their bike, but it's simply not the bike for me.

Old 07-30-1999, 02:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thats exactly right. I had that same dilema. The only thing I knew for sure was that I wasn't getting a honda 450. I have a honda already and I know how reliable they are, but I wanted something that nobody else around my home had. They all have hondas so I had a mess of manufacturers to choose from. Don't get me wrong anyone, I think the 450 is awesome.
I liked the power of the griz, but it had too much open space under the front, and I didnt want an automatic, for fear of slippage and the belt breaking at the worst possible time. If I was getting an automatic, I figured the sportsman would be the way to go. It rode a lot better than the Griz. Then the reliability thing became a factor and I backed out of it. I knew Gordon had a 500 suzuki that he liked, but I didn't like the suspension on it. It was fine for Gordon, cause he does all that rock climbing and prefers a bike that is more stable in tough terrain. He told me all about the engine, and I was very impressed. I then saw the AC 500 and after looking it over, I decided it was put together extremely well. Also, it had that same Suzuki 500 engine. It looked tough, like a Foreman, only with more power and a better suspension. I had driven a 97 454 the year before and was not impressed. After driving the 99 500, I found out that AC had fixed the steering, and that the motor was more responsive than the 454. I knew a guy with an AC dealer, and got a good deal on one about a month later. I still love it. It steers tough, but after reading Bill Cillberti's story on his Sportsman, I have changed my mind completely about trading.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Andy Bassham (edited 07-30-1999).]

Old 07-31-1999, 01:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Gordon, I tried that experiment with the front wheels. Its really easy to turn one with very little pressure and one hand. Its not very tight at all. There's the information, so whatever you can make from that I don't know. What were you expecting from it, and how does that compare to other limited slip differentials?

------------------

Old 08-05-1999, 11:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a honda 300 4X4 99 model. My stock 23X8-11 tires were alot harder to turn than my new 24X9-11 vampires that I now have on my front. You would think it would be the opposite but mud tires turn easier from my experience if it isn't TOO WIDE!

Quick Reply: Big tires vs. Steering effect