Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

This made me laugh...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-1999, 08:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend Rob and I were out riding the other weekend. It was a gorgeous Guam day, and it had rained all night. We planned on getting mega-muddy. The first real obstacle was a mudhole that the trucks had wollered out. After at least 45 minutes, I got my Warrior through and pulled his Blaster the rest of the way through. Since we were coated with mud, the creek at the bottom of the hill was our next stop. When I say hill, I don't mean hill, I mean HILL. It decends probably 500ft in about 250 yards. Pretty steep. We get almost to the creek and all the rain made yet another lovely mudhole. After getting through that with almost no trouble at all, into the creek we rode. Both of us made it back out of the creek again, but on the way back up the hill, I noticed his Blaster was smoking like a freight train. At the top of the hill I asked him what was wrong. Being non-mechanical as he is, he had no idea. All the smoke, I concluded, was just him revving super hard up the hill, but he wasn't going fast. Hmmm, must be the clutch starting to go. We rode on to a flat spot atop another hill, and commence jumping and donuts, etc. I was watching him ride, when I noticed something that made me fall off my bike laughing. When he took off, like you would in a race, the bike revved, the clutch hooked, and the wheels spun, like you would expect. The tires, however, held their ground. The wheels were spinning inside the tires! Having never seen this phenomenon, I laughed 'till I cried. I couldn't explain to him what was happening, due to my bellowing, so I asked him to get off and I pointed at the rear of the bike. As soon as he saw this, he too rolled. Needless to say, the ride back was rather interesting. Trying to guess which side would spin and which would grab was more than we could handle on the next run. We cleaned the tires out at home, wire brushed the wheels and lo and behold, it did it again the next time out. Time for some self tapping screws. Thanks for listening.

------------------
Michael "Lordmik" Magee

Stranded on a tropical island, for now...

[This message has been edited by lordmik (edited 08-27-1999).]

Old 08-27-1999, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

HEHE NOW THATS FUNNY

------------------

Old 08-27-1999, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH, Can you say Beadlock wheels. Seen that on drag racing cars never on an ATV.Wow

------------------
Kevin Gowdy AKA-Kagey1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 08-28-1999, 01:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Try putting more air in the tires. I have never heard of that before with stock tires on any ATV but with swampers and vampires I run a lot more air. They grip so much that they will come right offthe rims

------------------
Matt Sibley

1999 Honda 300 4x4 Vampires and 2500 lb. winch

Old 08-28-1999, 02:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I read one time in an article back in the 80's about this. They had a Banshee and a Quadzilla, which were the two bad asses on the block pitted in a pullout. They said that they just sat there and spun the tires inside the wheels. I never really believed it, but maybe they weren't lying.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 08-28-1999, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

OOPS.. time for rim screws ... Don't feel bad, I had that happen on my Dodge Pickup leaving the starting line with a little too much laughing gas... sat down on its rims.. That was a BAD NITE AT THE TRACK....
Try scuffing the beads on both the rims and the tires with some sandpaper...
I bet that was good for a laugh....

Old 08-31-1999, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

My buddy,s trx250r did the same thing,Doing a nasty hollshot with stock Osha,s.He had to go with 6 ply shreders to get to stop breaking the bead,s.

Try cleaning the tires and beads with prepsol.

[This message has been edited by trx430ex (edited 08-31-1999).]

Old 09-05-1999, 10:40 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the suggestions, but the problem was fixed the day after. We just lined both sides of the wheels with tire plugs. Sealed the beads and no more spin. Thanks anyway, I just thought it was funny.

------------------
Michael "Lordmik" Magee

Stranded on a tropical island, for now...