Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

WORKS Suspension-----What is best?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-1999, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What advantages do triple rate springs provide over only dual rate springs?

How reliable and long lasting is a WORKS suspension package?

thanks
Chris "00" 300EX

Old 10-28-1999, 10:32 PM
Range Rover

I have not had any experience with works shocks, I can just relay what people have told me. They only last about a year, so you either buy a new set or have them rebuilt. Most people are disappointed with the performance of these shocks. They will outperform stockers, but not by much. They will be good for trail riding, but any aggressive riding and you will most likely be disappointed. Triple rates will outperform dual rates. Triple will have a better feel on small stuff and better control on the big, rough stuff. Save up your money and go with some PEP or CT Total Control System shocks. I have heard alot of good things about the CT shocks and PEP's reputation speaks for it self. Just remember, you get what you pay for! Works are around 250-350, PEP and CT are anywhere from 500-1000. They are that much more for a reason. The performance of the Works vs. PEP or CT is night and day.

------------------
Jayson Blough '99 Banshee, '97 Warrior, '96 Blaster Yes I like Yamaha

[This message has been edited by jblough (edited 10-28-1999).]

Old 10-29-1999, 04:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cstark,
log onto www.ctracing.com & see their TCS sag control front shock. They use two different springs, but prefer to call them "sag control cross overs". What ever they call them I can tell you that they'll make you think you have a totally different machine. I'm doing whoops, stutter bumps, and 3 to 4' jumps or dropoffs at speeds, sometimes pinned , that I never would have thought possible on my Warrior.
Just haul out the plastic, pay the man, and enjoy the rush!
There is one drawback, however. Your front end will be so awesome that you will have to have them rebuild your rear shock for $390

------------------
THE AZ HARD PACKER, calmiller@kachina.net

save the public land FOR you, not FROM you..join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online @ www.sharetrails.org

Old 10-29-1999, 09:05 AM
Pro Rider

I have no experiance with aftermarket suspension. But from what both of you say, WORKS shocks do not last. And that does not interest me.
What I want is the best shock for the trail. Medium speeds and small to average jumps. This machine will never see the track. But I want something that doesen't have to be rebuilt in a year.
Thanks guys for the info.

Chris "00" 300EX

Old 10-29-1999, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cstark,
I think I need to clear up something here. Having never used Works shocks I can't comment on their quality or durability. I only know about the quality & performance of my TCS shocks. If, as your post indicates, your riding style is of a more moderate nature, you may not even need to upgrade the suspension beyond a good steering damper. In any case, Alan Knowles or any of his people at CTRacing will interview you as to your skill level, riding style, weight, etc. & build your suspension to fit that profile, so assuming you've been honest with yourself & with CT regarding your ability & experience, you'll get shocks that fit you to a "T". If for any reason they don't, they'll re-valve them free within a 30 day period.
As you can see, I'm sold on CT Racing & their products.

------------------
THE AZ HARD PACKER, calmiller@kachina.net

save the public land FOR you, not FROM you..join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online @ www.sharetrails.org

Old 10-29-1999, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

I think that the suspension on a 300EX is very nice to begin with. The biggest jumps that I have the courage to take are between 5 and 6 feet in the air. And at my weight(160lbs) the current stock setup works fine. But with all of the choices out there for aftermarket shocks. It got me thinking.... How much better are these "aftermarket" shocks? It is clear to me that the 300EX is the perfect machine for me. I have been riding dirtbikes and atv's for the last 10 years. And this quad suits me better than anything has before. I can control every aspect when riding. Now I just want to make it the best that I can.

I just figured that with the stock setup, being as good as it is. That something aftermarket would just blow me away. I don't ride high speed that often, because most people in my group ride 4bys and smaller four-strokes. So the EX is the fastest. It's not a competition anyway. But 90% of my riding is done on the trail. So I just want the best ride that I can have for the trail. But I don't want to have to worry about rebuilding shocks every year.

I would love to get into atv racing. But unfortunatly time and money are a problem. So I'll just stick to the trail.

Anyway's, thanks for the advice. And anymore that anyone can give me. Thanks in advance.

Chris "00" 300EX

Old 10-29-1999, 03:54 PM
Range Rover

As far as reliabilty for shocks, any shock only last a year before they should be recharged, even if the quad is never ridden the nitrogen level will drop. Works shocks work fine if used for trails. I actually run Pro-shox made by Works for Last Rebel for motocross, they do work better than regular works because they are like PEP Limited Mass Shocks.

Also, a pro racer I know named Mark Burns, 4x National Champion in the Open Pro Class, runs works, so if they are set up correctly they work fine.

As far as the absolute best quality shocks availabe, I've heard Custom Axis are the best. It is just up to what you will be doing, and how much money you want to spend.

Old 10-31-1999, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

I bought CT's TCS shocks for my 99 Banshee and they made a huge differnce. Jumps and whoops are made so much easier now.

I had mine set up for X-country and moto-X.

99 Banshee
87 Banshee

------------------

Old 11-15-1999, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

Yeh I would have to Disagree with the part about works shocks not lasting...I have triple rates all the way round my banshee...no problems...and it does make a world of difference...But shocks do require regular rebuilds...even the best pro riders rebuild quite frequently..whether it be works, pep or the like. The great advantage of an aftermarket shock is that they ARE rebuildable...most stock shocks cannot be rebuilt. I would have to say that shocks alone are not a cure all though..A nice complimented set of A-arms and some rear end work always helps. A set of stock sized works shocks on stock a-arms may or may not be that big of an improvement...I extended the A-arms 1 inch forward and 2 inches wider...with the "works shocks, I get 3 more inches of travel compared to the stockers.
good luck