Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

27" Mud Tire Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-1999, 03:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few months ago Dirt Wheels did a shootout of the top 27" mud tires, and I missed the issue! AHHHHH! Does anyone have this article? If so could anyone scan a copy for me?!

As you can tell by my user name I ride the swamps and this article would be very informative to me. So any help would be appreciated.

SwampMonster

"LOCK 'EM, AND LEAVE 'EM!!!"

Old 10-30-1999, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read the article and was AMAZED that Dirt Wheels did'nt include the Good Year Mud Runners in on that shoot out.I later found out that GoodYear does'nt sponser DW and thats probably why the MudRunners were left out.I have 26 inch Mud Runners on my Sportsman,they are every bit as good in the Mud as the Super Swamper Vampires,but were not even recognized in the shoot out.My point you ask?I just dont want you to forget about the Mud Runners. BILL

Old 10-31-1999, 10:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

In that issue, the Vampires were ranked #1 the tri-claws #2 I think the ITP ag tires #3 the maxxis mud bugs #4 and the blackwaters #5. However the blackwaters had the best hardpack rating. I like my vamps but I've only ridden a ATV with swampers, bear claws, stock tires, and of course my VAMPS. The vamps out did the others I have ridden.

------------------
Matt Sibley

1999 Honda 300 4x4 Vampires and 2500 lb. winch

Old 10-31-1999, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

I GOTTA get in on this one..... The DW article isn't complete! How can you EFFECTIVELY compare these tires on a conventional transmission quad only? With more and more auto tranny machines coming out on the market, there should have been two sets of tests. One with all tires on Honda 450S and then another test with them on Polaris Magnum 500's. Vampires help Hondas so well because of the 450's limited wheelspeed in the mud.
I saw a new Sportsman with Maxxis Mud-Bugs on reinforced aluminum wheels the other day, and HOW DW said it lost because of "Not looking tough enough" Is BEYOND ME!!... That tire looks better and is lighter than the Vampire.. (Not taking ANYTHING from the Vampire.. Its a GREAT mud tire!!!)
I went riding with two buddies last week, one with a 4x4 Big Bear 350(vampires) and one with a Sportsman 400(stock wore out titans) and me with 22" Bearclaws on back and Titans on front... I high-centered once but was able to back out on my own.. The Sportsman went EVERYWHERE and then some.. the Big Bear did great too.. but got stuck a few times (the Sportsman went in and knocked him out, then drove out on his own)
All this being said, When thinking about a mudtire, you MUST consider the machine its to be used on... its 4x4 status (open differential, locker, Polaris AWD...) and its transmission type, (variable automatic gives you TONS of wheelspeed, conventional gives you limited wheelspeed) If you can't muster up the wheelspeed to throw HEAVY grey clay out of your tires, then you need a tire with a history of being able to clean out well at low speeds!! (Vampires work great for this)
Note: That Big Bear got into a couple of situations where he COULDNT turn the tires!! It just sat there in 1st gear grunting...(Dont know WHAT to make of that except quote Tim Allen.. NEEDS MORE POWER!!!)
Note 2: As with this information and info from DW, take all intelligent information into consideration, but in the end its YOUR choice!!...
Damn, that was alot of typing.. hope SOMEBODY reads all this!!!

Old 10-31-1999, 11:34 PM
Range Rover

What would be the best mud tire 4 the Grizzly?

Old 06-17-2007, 02:19 AM
Trailblazer
Default 27" Mud Tire Shootout

27" BiClaws and TriClaws. Mean tires. I';ve been running Mud Machines for ove 12 years now.