Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Good Year Mudrunners vs. Carlisle ACT/DU Wetlands Radial

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Year Mudrunners vs. Carlisle ACT/DU Wetlands Radial

I am interested in opinions on a replacement for my plugged up 2-ply Bridgestone Dirt Hooks. Had to put 3 plugs in one tire on my second ride. I knew when I bought the quad that the tires were one of the first things I was going to have to replace.

Most of the year I ride hard pack trails. Some just dirt, but when I ride in upstate NY and the Berkshires (often) they are mostly hard pack with granite rocks that vary in size from pebbles to a bus, most with sharp edges. Some thick mud holes appear in the trail ~20% of the time. From now until May the tobacco fields that we use to get from trail to trail will be soup. I also ride in snow often - so I have a need for a more aggressive tire than the stockers

I was relatively happy with the durability of the Titan 489s on an Arctic Cat I had (never had to plug a tire), but the mudding capabilities were not that great.

I am looking at the Mud Runners as they have done well in reviews and owner's opinions. Good for hard pack trails, yet aggressive enough to get me out of trouble (better than most) if a puddle turns into a mud pit. I like the 1" tread depth too, they should last longer

I am also looking at the ACTs/DU Wetlands. I like the potential of a better ride for the Rubicon from the radial design. I also like that it is available in 26" size - without being a 12" width (12" tires stick out past the fenders, I'ds rather not (have to) get covered in mud every puddle). I am not sure about the puncture resistance, mud/snow capabilities, and the wear of the smaller 3/4" deep tread.

I have ruled out virtually every other tire for one reason or another, just looking for people's opinions on the two I've narrowed down to be my new tires. Anyone have experience with the ACT/DU Radial/or Polaris PXTs?

Old 02-16-2005, 11:16 PM
Trailblazer

I have some of the radials on special order from atvoutfitters.net

I also considered the Bridgestone Mudhooks Xxtreme
26x9-12 27lb 30/32 Tread 26x12-12 33lbs 34/32 Tread both are 6 ply I think these would be best in the mud of what I am listing here.

another tire that intrigues me is the Swamp Witch / Highlifter Outlaw MST (the Outlaw is the tweaked version)
MST 26x9.5x12 25.2lbs 28/32 26x12x12 31.3 28/32 (weight is from MST prototypes, tread is from swamp witces)

I almost bought the Maxxis BigHorn Radials. I wanted to get the lightest tire I could as my bike is only a 400 so I went with wetlands.
26x9-12 25.7lbs 28/32 26x12-12 30.6lbs 28/32

The Wetlands Tires are 18 and 25lbs with the 3/4 inch tread. The only thing that concerns me about them is possible tread wear issues. I got Douglas Rokstar wheels also.

Old 02-16-2005, 11:29 PM
Trailblazer

Duh I forgot to list Mudrunners. They are 4 ply. I beieve all the others are 6 ply. I don't know if this is an issue or not.

26x9-12 23lbs 26/32 Tread Depth 26x12-12 32lbs 32/32 Tread Depth

Old 02-16-2005, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

I have been running wetlands on a second sportsman and I'm very happy with them. They are a good agressive TRAIL tire. They are by no means a mud tire but they pull better than 489's. They have avery smooth ride and they look to wear better (last longer) than my mudlites.

Old 02-17-2005, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the replys. I ordered the 26" DUs last night.

I was tired of looking at every tire made and trying to find the best price.

$338 delivered from Tire Wiz. They were in stock, should have them early next week.

Confident they'll be a huge improvement over the stock Bridgestones, and that I'll like them. Hope they are reliable.

I looked at the Mud Hook XXtreme, but the lugs don't look like they'll keep that raised edge on the lug after a couple hundred miles. They are quite a bit heavier than the DUs.

The weight I got from ITP for the DUs is 19 front, 23 rear.

Old 02-17-2005, 06:05 PM
Trailblazer

There is no perfect tire I guess. I made a decision and let it go. I too went for the wetlands. Of the Radials that are out there, these are probably the best in mud in their price range. I think they are the best all around radials in their price range. ITP is coming out with Mudlite Radials, but I'm not paying 90-100 $ each. If I had a bigger quad I might've given more preference to the BigHorns. I didn't want to add too much weight to a stock 400 quad. The rest of the radials are all lighter tires. I've heard of reliability issues with the Badlands xtr and less so with the holeshot ATR. I've thought of throwing one of the 2 on stock rims because I hear they are great in the snow. I can't wait to try the wetlands on my Kodiak with IRS.

Old 02-17-2005, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

I read that Bighorns fill up with mud. It makes sense to use them for the rock riding up north, but not for the mud around here. Plus they're as heavy as some of the mudders out there.

As with you, weight was a big factor. I do think the radial will improve the ride too.

Have you seen this tire mounted yet? Someone has them on a Vinson on one of the boards, with photos. The tire is pretty square like a car tire, looks like a large contact patch. They look good, we'll see how the work soon.

I checked out the ACT on an Outlander XT at a local dealer. They have a bead protector. Not as pronounced as the Titan 489, but its there. Dealer said he hasn't had to plug any of the Carlisles yet, and everyone's been impressed with them.

Old 02-18-2005, 04:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

The Titan 589 M/T will help you in the mud

Old 02-18-2005, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

If I pick up another set of rims the 589s will be at the top of my list for a pure mud/snow tire. Right now I need something more suitable for everything.

Thanks

Old 02-27-2005, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

' .............I bought my mudrunners a couple of years ago, I'd need a new set now...I don't remember where I bought them.

who sells them for a reasonable price , any idea?

thanks,

Joe

Quick Reply: Good Year Mudrunners vs. Carlisle ACT/DU Wetlands Radial