Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Premix and A-Arms

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-1999, 12:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Gents:

I recently did some performance mods to my 92 Banshee: Port job, 28mm PWK's, V-Force Delta Reeds, and a slightly shaved head. Man, my Banshee flies!

My questions are two-fold:

(1) When breaking the motor in, I ran a 20:1 premix (using Yamalube 2-R and riding at an elevation ~4,500 ft). Then, for the first 2 - 3 tanks afterward, I also mixed at a 20:1 ratio. However, I then changed the premix to a 32:1 ratio and my bike ran much differently. My Banshee seemed to lose power and didn't have the trottle response when running the 20:1 mixture. I checked the jetting and the plugs looked nearly identical under the 32:1 scenario as under the 20:1 scenario (clean plug, no signs of burn). Is there a logical explanation for this? I thought that leaning out the mixture a bit would provide me with higher performance. However, the results seem counter-intuitive. I thought that with more combustible mixture (less oil, more VP red), I would get more power and response. Can you please help me disspel the myth or at least bear some light on my change? (2) My bro. in law crunched my front A-arms. I would prefer to have him help me upgrade the A-arms to a better performance chassis (such as +2", +1" forward). Is there a good quality alternative to Laeger or Pro-design? They are awfully expensive!

Thanking you in advance for your help.

Greg

Old 11-30-1999, 12:45 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First your oil situation. You have it backwards. A 32:1 mix will run richer than a 20:1 mix. The 32:1 allows more fuel to pass through the jets because there is less oil in the mixture, thus making you run richer than with 20:1. A solution might be to go down one size on your mains with the 32:1 and see if it improves performance. Secondly the a-arms. A good alternative is a set of Burgaurd Cycle a-arms. They run from $450 and up. There is a review in the Featured articles section of Atv Racing on this website. http://www.atving.com/editor/review/...rms/review.htm
An even better geometry for the Banshee is +2 wider and +2 forward. This will give you almost the same weight bias as a 250r. I am order a set of these arms from Burguard in a few weeks for my Banshee. I am also getting a -1 swingarm from them. This too will improve the geometry of the 'shee. Hope this helps.

------------------
Jayson Blough '99 Banshee, '97 Warrior, '96 Blaster Yes I like Yamaha

[This message has been edited by jblough (edited 11-29-1999).]