Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Purpose of a lift kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-1999, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TxDoc2,

For one i don't have a scanner so i can't get a pic. And 2 how can I e-mail it to you with no e-mail address.

Here is what the lift kit is(for honda Foremans and front shocks on other Honda's):
1) take a 1 1/2" diameter pipe and cut in to 4 equeal peices, depending on how much lift you want.
2) weld a plate to 1 end of the pipe
3) find a smaller pipe that will work as your a-arm mount, make shore it's not to loose were the shock used to mount to the a-arm
4) weld another 1/4 or thicker plate to the a-arm mount making shore it's not wider than your a-arm mount(it has in the old shock mount)
5) weld the 1/4 plate to the other plate on the 1 1/2 inch pipe
6) unbolt the shock were it bolts to the a-arm and slide the lift kit on the shock(for the back you will have to bolt the shock to the lift kit because the shocks can pop out, the front can't)
7)(on the front only the back should drop more than enough to get the lift kit bolted were the shocks used to bolt to) for maximum lift you will need to pry up on the shock alittle to get the lift kit to bolt on right

I know i described it very baddly so if you have any questions please ask because I know you will.

Arctic Cat 500, So to have a lift

[This message has been edited by BONER (edited 12-04-1999).]

Old 12-05-1999, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

You should have my email now, Boner.
The Highlifter lift did, in fact, give me more front end ground clearance. It is just like you doing a pushup and getting more clearance between your chest and the floor. The center of my quad ceased to drag when in ruts that used to high center it. Along with the Vampires, I had a completely different rig.

Old 12-05-1999, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

Ok I have it. But I still don't have a scanner.

Old 12-05-1999, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

That's OK. I just wanted to see what it looks like when you're through with it. Have you seen the "Reader's Rides" on the Highlifter site? Thanks for the links.

Old 12-05-1999, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider

Yea, I loved that Sportsman with the Tri-Claws and wheel spacers. All it needs is a set of chrome wheels.

Here is what the liftkit looks like:

! !
! !
-----
-

Key:
! = walls of 1 1/2" pipe
- = plates
0 = part that bolts to a-arm

Shock inserts in the pipe

Ant questions?

Old 12-05-1999, 11:20 AM
Range Rover

the easiest way i found to gain ground clearance is to stiffen the springs.on my 99 ac 500 i took the 4 springs off the shocks and added a 3/4 in. shim.i gained 1 1/2 inchs of ground clearance at the frame and took away a lot of body roll.

Old 12-05-1999, 02:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Boner- The a-arms are connected to the frame. how is it possible to lift the frame higher than the a-arms? Also, the rear axle isn't the low point. Its the gear housing that hangs down lower than anything, so there is no lifting that part any higher and that is the part that drags first. The spacers go right under the shocks from what I have seen. It goes where the shocks connect to the a-arms and spaces that out a bit more, thus raising the body up off of the frame, like a spacer lift on a truck. I could be wrong here, but thats how I thought it worked.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 12-05-1999, 02:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

After looking at the article here, I'm seeing that the only way they are getting any clearance in the front is that maybe the added length provided by the spacer in the area between the shock connections is making the a-arms swing down farther. In shorter words, the a-arms are pivoting at a steeper anle downward. This wouldn't do squat though with weight on the front, because the suspension would squat, and defeat the purpose.

What I'm looking at is if you jack up the frame with a floor jack under the front, and watch the shocks extend with no weight on them now that the spot where the jack meets the frame is holding the quad's weight. This lets the a-arms extend lower now thus increasing the clearance. It would seem that longer shocks or heavier set shocks would have the same effect as the lift. It would make the ride crappy though. It still isn't really doing any "lifting" though. just raising the body off of the frame, and pushing the a-arms down at a steeper angle. Thats about the only way I can see that it would gain any clearance in the front.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 12-05-1999, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry and but you do have it wrong.

Why do you think everybody is woried about cv joint angles. The front lift kit puts the A-arms at a higher angle and this in turn raises the frame.

The only way to lift the body is to put spacers between the plastic and the frame.

Trust me I have seen a 450es before and after the lift kit. I even tried to put one on a 450s. I will be putting it on my Arctic Cat 500. If I can get a camera I will send some pics to you.

Old 12-05-1999, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

Go to Highlifter's site and look at the pics there. That may help some. If I can get some pics on disc, I'll send you a side by side and close up.

Quick Reply: Purpose of a lift kit