Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

28" TriClaws....

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-1999, 11:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talked to the guys at Highlifter last week and was asking quetions about the 28" Vamps (because I will be getting them as soon as they are avaliable again), and they mentioned that someone else would probably be coming out with a 28" tire soon. I automatically assumed that they were talking about a 28" Tri-Claw. So I called the manufacturer of the TriClaws today and they told me that they were not anticipating a 28" tire for now because they were already, hands down, spanking they 27" Vampires in the mud!!! WOOOOOHHHH!!! Wait just a minute here! I have 27x12x12 Vamps on my machine right now and from everything I've heard (Magazine shootouts, online, etc...) this is not the case. I'm not knocking the tires but I don't see them "hands down spanking" the Vampires. They said that if the 28" Vamps posed enough of a threat and outperformed thir 27" Tri-Claws that they would come out with one! I'm reminded of an old saying..."If you can't hang with the lead dogs, stay on the porch!!!" What is Sand Tires philosophy here? They say they wanted to hear my input if I bought their tires, but they're based in California! Their own words were "In California we don't have a need for a tire like this so we would like to know what you think about it." Interco on the other hand is in the heart of Swamp Country in LA! Don't you think they know what us mud riders like?!

I still want to try a set of Tri-Claws but my heart is set on the 28" Vamps right now. Until I see a major change in support by the mud riders in the South I will be Vamp faithful. They haven't let me down yet!

Does anyone out there think the Tri-Claws are spanking the Vamps in the mud?

"LOCK 'EM AND LEAVE 'EM!!!"
SwampMonster

Old 12-08-1999, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

The 28" tire isn't proven yet. How do we know it will make much difference? Like they said, if it poses a threat, they will match it. They didn't say they would never make one.

Old 12-08-1999, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider

I talked to Scott the owner of Highlifter. He said that he runs the 28's in the front and pumped up 27x12s in the back because he rathers the wider tires in the back. I e-mailed him today to ask if he is still running offset wheels for the narrow tires. I will post if stil is.

Old 12-08-1999, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider

Oh I forgot. Jeff Newman, the test rider at Highlifter said that the Vampires are better than the Claws but they do say in there catalog that they are "excellent tires for gooey, sticky mud."

Here are the sites for both tire companies.

Sand Tires Unlimited: mudtires.com
Interco: intercotire.com

Old 12-08-1999, 07:35 PM
Trailblazer

Nice response Andy!...not. I just wanted to ask why you are wasting space in this particular topic if you have no interest in the subject? Did someone tell you "andy, you must respond to this topic. What is your reply?", and that was all you could come up with? Come on, give me a break. I post topics to get constructive comments and information about products or situations that I am interested in. So grow up, and as the old saying goes "If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all!"

I know others will call me a hipocrit for this but I can't refuse:

If you think your dad can beat up my dad then call us when your dad gets out of County lockup for pimpin' your mom out to your bald, toothless, hermapahrodite, midget of a brother/sister, whatever you call it!

"LOCK 'EM AND LEAVE 'EM!!!
SwampMonster

Old 12-09-1999, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

Andy,

I don't agree with yor post. I find it hip a hipocritical(and I know I can't spell so forgive me). Why? Remeber yesterday when I posted Duh!!!. You wrote a long post about how I wasted a post. That is excactly what SwampMonster did. So before you say anything, consider what your response would have been and what it WAS when that happen to you.

Sorry if this offends you, If I had your e-mail address I would have e-mailed this to you insted of posting it.

[This message has been edited by BONER (edited 12-08-1999).]

Old 12-09-1999, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer

Crybaby? Insecure? What post are you reading? If you analyze the original post thoroughly, the last statement is "Does anyone think the Tri-Claws are spanking the Vamps in the mud?" This statement (in English) does NOT read "I'm bithching and whining because I think I paid to much for an inferior tire." I was am just wondering if anyone has real world experience to back up the statements presented to me by the guys at Sand Tires Unlimited themselves. And yes you did push buttons with me. I'm still trying to figure out why you're wasting time here and not in the Arctic Cat forum trying to figure out the difference between snow and mud! Maybe you guys will wise up and buy a real ATV someday, not just a modified snowmachine! Also I bet you have stock tires on that kitty! Even if you don't I bet you don't have Tri-Claws or Vampires, and if this is the case you have no need to comment on this subject any longer!

Sorry Andy! Nothing personal, but you just punched the wrong buttons!

SwampMonster

Old 12-09-1999, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

Swampmonster,

Hold on now you are atacking me since I'm an Arctic Cat owner. Yes me and Andy both have Stock tires. But I follow and even pass were a 450es with 26" Vampires can't pass. There have been more times were I passed were he couldn't that the other way around.

"Maybe you guys will wise up and buy a real ATV someday, not just a modified snowmachine! "

Excuse me but Honda's quad are closer to motorycles that Arctic Cat quads are to snowmobiles. Name on quad that Arctic Cat makes that shares a part with a snowmobile. On the other hand the 400 ex shares almost every part in the motor with the XR 400. So before you start atacking me(Arctic Cat owner) please check out what you're saying.

P.S. Andy has posted a few tires about how much he likes the Claws. He likes them better than the Vamps I think. But I will let Andy speak for himself.

Old 12-09-1999, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

SwampMonster,

Sorry you just pushed my button with that Arctic Cat crack.

You need to go to mudtires.com and read the review section. It has the reason why Sand tires Unlimited THINKS the the claws are better.

Old 12-09-1999, 12:46 AM
Trailblazer

Sorry BONER!

I admit that was a little out of line, but Andy ruffled my feathers. Granted. Honda did use ALMOST the same motor in the 400ex (Also tranny is different). What about that CVT tranny that Arctic Cat came ou with tis year though? You can't tell me that didn't come from snowmachine technology! Anyways...sorry for the dis onthe Cats. Just slipped out. Anyways if andy does have stockers then he just needs to see his way out of a conversation discussing the validity of each tire in a real world conversation.

SwampMonster