Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Titan 589 Info and Mud Tire Shootout Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2000, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Titan 589—25 Inch Tire
From ATV Magazine, September 1999, Mud Tire Shoot-out for 27 Inch Tires (Others in the test--G/Y MudRunner, Kenda Bearclaw, Vampires, Maxxis MudBugs)

In the "believe it or not" category, the 25-inch Titan 589 tires were the complete surprise of the mud test. Titan developed this new tire from the original-equipment style 489 model which runs on some Arctic Cat and Polaris ATVs. The general look of the 489 and 589 is the same, though the new 589 gets a much deeper lug and a different tread pitch.

Fore get ground clearance, these 25-inch tires did all that the bigger 27-inchers did in the mud and more than most of them. We couldn’t believe the pure mudding performance of the Titan 589 tires. In fact, we often stopped to look over the fenders an make sure we were really on 25-inch tires. We were always relatively surprised to see these relatively this and short tires pulling our Honda through the mud.

And they did pull. Even though the deepest and nastiest stuff, the Titan 589---25-inch tires remember—got us through almost everything the Super Swampers did. There are times, of course, when you seriously need ground clearance. So we can’t wait for Titan to manufacture these in a 27-inch style (*they are available now).

These tires cleaned quickly of mud and pulled easily, in forward and reverse, through the thick mud and up the muddy hills. We only stuck these tires a couple of times, and that may have been driver error.

On the hardpack, the Titan 589 treads performed incredibly well. Again, there were logs and rocks that we couldn’t get over because of the short height. But for trail riding at all speeds, for wet grassy hills and for all-purpose riding, these tires were our favorites.

Two years ago, the Goodyear MudRunners came into this test and shocked us. This year, the Titan 589s amazed us exceptional performance in the mud and out of the mud to be the overall winner of this mud tire test. It’s a relatively lightweight tire that won’t strain you or your machine’s componets. And it muds with the best of them.

Specs: 25x12-10-----28 lbs
25x8-12------20 lbs
26x9-12------26.8 lbs
26x12-12-----32.5 lbs
27x9-12------27.4 lbs
27x11-12-----30.0 lbs
PS-for information only. Not a "this is better than yours" deal. Some people interested in the tire have not found out much information on them, i.e. weights, and this may help in deciding what they want.

Old 09-24-2000, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

TexDoc:
Thanks for the review of the 589's! The weights are what I was interested in, and hadn't been able to find, so I'm glad you posted it. Looks like in the 27x9x12, 27x11x12 sizes, I'd only gain about 6.8 lbs, compared to the stockers. With the Mud Bugs in the 27x10x12 size, I'd loose about 10 lbs. Kind of a toss-up now.

I did hear something about Titan being bought out by another company, or something of the sort? And that the 589 style either won't be in production anymore, or will be under another name. Have you heard anything of this, or is there any truth to it?

Thanks again,

Mike

Old 09-24-2000, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

They are both good tires. I heard they were bought, but that the tires would still be made and no changes. Just a buyout of one company by another. I will have to ask someone from the company and see what they say.

Old 09-28-2000, 03:52 AM
Trailblazer

ZIIIPPP ZIIP ZIP the §h*t up "From the Movie Blue Streak - Martin Lawrence" cause everyone knows VAMPIER MUD TIRES ARE THE BEST! THEY BEAT OUT EVERY MUD TIRE OUT THERE!

Old 09-28-2000, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider

Just bought a set of the 27" 589's for my Griz. I'll find out how good they are this weekend! I wish there were alittle more mud around, but I'm sure I can find something to test them on.

Old 09-28-2000, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

Grizz:
I'm curious to know what you think of the 589's, as soon as you get them. Tomorrow will be a long wait, or saturday for that matter if you can't get free tomorrow night! I've always had very good luck dealing with Les Schwab. They've always helped out with all our tire needs, break, tie rods, shocks, etc. I also don't know too many companies that would give a strait across trade for two year old tires, no matter how much tread is left. While I think their price of $133 per tire for the Titans was high, I think you still got a good deal in the trade, especially if you don't use the old buckshots a whole lot. So where do you ride around Newberg. My geography is failing me right now, and I can't seem to remember where that is in Oregon. How far from Portland, or Hermiston? Do you ever come into Washington to ride?

Anyway, good luck with the tires, let us know what you think!

Mike

Old 09-28-2000, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

TxDoc2

Thanks for posting the review of the Titan 589's. I have been thinking of getting them for my Magnum. I know a lady that works at a local titan tire dealer. Titan was bought out by Carlisle. Hopefully the Titan tires will not be cheapened. They do not know which Titan tires will still be made, but she thinks the 489's and 589's will continue to be made. Hopefully she can get me a good price on them

Old 09-28-2000, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

Cowboy,
Your right about the time dragging! I can't wait to see how good those Titans work. From the look of the picture they showed me, they should do real well. They look real agressive. Hopefully I will gain the whole inch of ground clearence by moving up 2" in tire height. I agree with you about Les Schwab. I buy all my tires there. They have a good warranty program, and almost every town has a Les Schwab. So if I have problems, I can get it fixed almost anywhere.
Newberg is about 25 miles SW of Portland. We are about 10 miles east of McMinnville on 99W. The main road to Lincoln City. I usually go out riding in the Trask Mountains out by the Flying M Ranch. Or else I go to Browns Camp. So tell me where Pullman is? I haven't heard of it. I don't really know Washington all that well.

Old 09-29-2000, 01:25 PM
Trailblazer

I just put a set of Titan 589's in 25x10x12 on my y2 Kodiak. I don't have a lot to compare them to except the Blackwater XT's on my last machine. Also none of my fellow riders buy other than stock tires. After reading the test in 9/99 ATV Magazine I've been wanting them. I rode both days last weekend trying to find mud. These tires went through everything I tried even a very steep hill in the woods which I never tried prevoiusly. If I had it to do again I would've used stock width in front cause now it's tough squeezing through trees on some trails. These tires have increased the traction in all aspects so far and aren't too bad on the trail either. My dealer had to inflate them to 30 psi to seat them on the rim! There is no ply rating on the tires but when off the rims I sat on one and wasn't able to squash it. I believe they're even built heavier than the Blackwater XT's!

Old 09-29-2000, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

Grizz:
Pullman is the home of WSU-Cougars. It is located about 76 miles south of Spokane, and 7 miles west of Moscow, Idaho. I'll occasionally ride down in the Blue Mountain area, but not that often. Most of my riding is done outside the Naches/Rimrock area, about 40 miles NW of Yakima. Our property is up near Omak, which is about 40 miles south of the Canadian border, and is my "other home", where the work takes place.

Mike

Quick Reply: Titan 589 Info and Mud Tire Shootout Review